Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White Lightning Epic Ride chain lube, have you used it, what do you think of it.
I have bin useing Finish Line wet Cross Country, seams to work ok but the local bike shop is not carring it any more.

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Love it! I've tried so many I can't count and have settled on White Lightening Epic.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds good rola643, any one have anything to add

·
1,355 Posts
I use Wd40, have used it for years. See lots of hits on the internet saying that I shouldn't. :eek: Just bought a new chain. Maybe I will switch to White Lightning.

·
Registered
870 Posts
the WD in WD40 stands for Water Displacement. The number 40 means it is the 40th version of the formula when they were trying to perfect it. So 1 through 39 did not work, number 40 obviously did.

WD40 has lots of uses, but not as a bicycle chain lubricant.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anywhere on the bike you're thinking of using WD-40, use Tri-flo. I use it to lube all components. The only exception is the chain...there I use White Lighting, although Tri-flo does a really good job as a chain lube. But put away the WD-40.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the coments and the 2 cents maybe we can get the 2 cents added to our smily faces:D

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes this is a topic that has a lot of different opinions but all are welcome.

I think any lube is better than none, cleaned and lubed chain is better than gunked up chain. I clean and lube my chain every 150 miles that is about once a week so what ever I use will help. It is not the chains I want to protect it is the chainring and cassette.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I use Finish line Krytech road lube with ceramic.
Because it works and Nashbar had a sale a couple years ago...3 bottles for the price of 1. Made it CHEAP.
I will have this lube for a long time too. A bottle lasts a good time and I got 3.:D

It is a road lube, so it is thin. It dries well so dirt isn't attracted. I apply it often as it is thin, perhaps every 250-350 miles.
I try to clean the chain before applying it.

Just a heads up...
These new drivetrains, 10 and 11 speeds, need lube more so than the old stuff. The chain and gears are very thin. Wear will ruin the new drivetrain quickly. and parts are costly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have never used White Lightening, but have been using a blue lube called Rock and Roll that my LBS owner turned me onto... It does a great job of cleaning and lubing..

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I took the chain off and put it in the clearflow tank soaked it then brushed it and soaked it again, let it dry, then I lubed it with Epic chain lube. I seen that the lube seperated so I shook it well befor useing. I found the lube was verry thin and thaught it was comming out a little to fast lots of waste. I put the chain away untill next time to lube, I have 2 chains that I use, I like to let it drip and set befor I use it. I am going to make the hole smaller in the bottle, I want to cut down on waste and have better controle puting it on. I should be useing this chain next week, and will do the one that is on the bike now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts