Chain Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by BanTamStoWay, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BanTamStoWay

BanTamStoWay Guest

I need to replace my chain and would like some opinions. I have Shimano drivetrain and chain now, but I think I would like to get a Sram because of the masterlink. The reason for the masterlink it would be nice for cleaning. I know Sram/Shimano is supposed to be compatible, but is this true? What are the pros/cons of doing this and dose anyone have any other suggestions? Also, do I need any special tools?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I run Sram chains on everything without issues. The powerlink is nice, but can be tricky to seperate, especially when it's dirty. No special tools are required.

3. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

SRAM chain is the way to go for multiple reasons. The powerlink is a really nice feature. I dont think it is hard to use at all, but thats just me. If you are ever on the trail and you break your chain if you have a spare powerlink with you (which you should carry anyway) you can rig it back together and at least ride out instead of walking. They are completely compatible with your Shimano stuff. Just make sure your drivetrain isn't worn down or the chain will not shift correctly. Don't hesitate, buy SRAM.

4. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

I don't like Sram chains. Broke every one I've ever had, multiple times.
    Shimano XTR/DuraAce chains are strong and cheap, and you can run a Sram powerlink (or any other company's) on it.

Personally, I like the KMC X9SL. I run it on both my 8 and 9 speed setups.
    Never broken one, and I like the KMC quicklink better than Sram's.
    Stronger and lighter, but not as cheap.
    Their stainless steel chains are nice too. Say byebye to rust...

Any chain can run any other company's link, as long as it's the same speed chain.
    Chains are all made to the same sizing spec.

5. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

I broke an SRAM chain on Sunday, and that is the first time that has ever happened to me!! Kinda freaky!!:eek:

6. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Yeah. Putting your nuts into your stem/toptube even once is enough to make you want to switch brands, and not cheap out on a chain.

7. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

Luckily m clipless pedals are set pretty tight, and I didn't come out, it just scared the poo out of me!!

8. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I have never broken a SRAM chain. Broken several Shimano's though. It will scare the poo out of you though.

9. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

Ruined my Canari MTB shorts!! LOL!!

10. colleenbc

colleenbc Guest

I got a whole new drivetrain - installed by my LBS - he put a new sram chain on - I broke it TWICE - in three outings. It always broke near the quick link - never on it. I was climbing pretty steep when it broke both times but I don't have the muscle to blame it on climbing too hard. I asked my LBS why a new chain would break two times like that - got no real answer. I'm not sure I trust that sram chain - I certainly will not go anywhere without a quick link!
    Any of you have any ideas what would cause breaks like that?

11. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

rememebr to replace your cassette at the same time!!! they wear together!

and XTR chain with a kmc link FTW

12. colleenbc

colleenbc Guest

I had replaced the cassette. I broke the chain for the THIRD time this weekend. This time the chain splayed out before it snapped, it got caught in my derailleur, bent that, bent my drop out and ended up resulting in the need to replace 7 spokes. I don't know if I got a bad Sram chain or if sram has lightweight chains and this chain wasn't appropriate for the way I ride or what. I just know I got a new chain now. I took the above advice and am trying a KMC (My LBS only had a Z9000 - is that good?). Since my cassette is only 2 months old I hope I don't need a new one of those.

13. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

i personally only use kmc for single speed. if you're worried about breakage and not shifting get a wipperman chain, you'll get 15000 miles out of one before it even thinks about breaking.