Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm trying to get into biking. I bought a $30 bike. I like the bike, but the kid that had my bike before me jumped a curb or something and bent the rim. I took the tire and tube off and banged out the rim and it's pretty good now, but still has a slight bend to the rim. It rides fine, but when braking and hitting that spot, it's a slight thump.

What I would like to do is take the rear rim and put it on the front. I mean, how often do you use the front brake? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Can I take the rear rim and put it on the front and vice versa? How do I take the rear wheel's cassette gears on the front wheel and put the front hub on the rear wheel? Is it possible?

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
There are 3 parts rim, spokes, hub, First you nead to take the cassette off, you are looking at undoning all the spokes on bouth wheels and then switching rims and putting all the spokes back, then true bouth wheels. Yes it can be done but I would look for anouther wheel, good luck on yor project.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Could you??? maybe but I wouldn't because that would mean putting a front wheel on the rear and many bikes rear wheels are made to take more stress IIRC. IIRC rear wheels are often made stronger than fronts. If I am wrong I will be happy for someone to correct me.

I have heard of people taking the trouble to pull the hubs and put a rear wheel on the front, but its because they wanted a stronger front wheel. (and the one guy I knew that was doing that had a good reason because he abused the dog out of his bike)

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
If you "banged out the rim" it would seem should stick to learning some maintenance basics. It would require a huge amount of work to rebuild both wheels, which is out of most people's skill level.

Instead, it might be worth learning how to properly true (straighten) the wheel. This is a good skill for most people to learn. Basic truing isn't too difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you "banged out the rim" it would seem should stick to learning some maintenance basics. It would require a huge amount of work to rebuild both wheels, which is out of most people's skill level.

Instead, it might be worth learning how to properly true (straighten) the wheel. This is a good skill for most people to learn. Basic truing isn't too difficult.
I just googled "true bicycle wheel." That just means to tighten and loosen the spokes. I'm sure the wheel is round. It just has a bend in the rim and when the brake hits it, it makes a thump. I don't think any amount of "truing" will fix the bend in the rim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 3 parts rim, spokes, hub, First you nead to take the cassette off, you are looking at undoning all the spokes on bouth wheels and then switching rims and putting all the spokes back, then true bouth wheels. Yes it can be done but I would look for anouther wheel, good luck on yor project.
I didn't read your post until now... or least comprehend it. That sounds like a lot of work. So, the only way to take the cassette off is to undo all the spokes? I don't think I have any idea how to do that and get them back on and have it work when I get done... so I probably will just get another wheel (or buy another $30 bike off of craigslist and just take the wheel off that bike.)

·
4,311 Posts
No the cassette has to come off first to get the spokes out, I think you might be able to leave the cassette on and undo the spoke niples and take the rim off

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
No offense to the OP, but ya can't polish a turd. A $30 bike is not likely gonna have wheels worth salvaging unless you got one hell of a deal. If you've never trued a wheel and it's badly bent, it's unlikely that you will be able to true it yourself. I'd try to find a cheap used wheel.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Actually Mythbusters proved you can polish poo. They did it with several different varieties of poo and got it to a high gloss. Yet I agree another wheel is needed here.

Now what that says about TV today is another whole question and the fact that I watched out of curiosity is something else.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I just googled "true bicycle wheel." That just means to tighten and loosen the spokes. I'm sure the wheel is round. It just has a bend in the rim and when the brake hits it, it makes a thump. I don't think any amount of "truing" will fix the bend in the rim.
Truing does a lot more more than just make the wheel round. It adjusts radial, lateral, and centering alignment as well as spoke tension.

How to True a Wheel - Bicycle Tutor Video

I think the most common reason for truing is to remove warps or 'bends' and preventing a spot on the wheel from rubbing against the brakes.

·
4,311 Posts
Allso some front and back wheels have a different spoke count and the rims won't interchange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts