Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this one, but I figured Road Bikes would be a good place due to the environment.

Club ride last night, ended up riding the Cat 4/D because I'm going to be hammering next week. 4 of us in this group, about 30-something in the Cat 3/C. They take off before us and I'm leading out the second group. We're travelling along the road, it is 1 lane each way with a "suicide lane" in the middle for turns and a 5 foot shoulder on each side. We're single file, I'm about 75 feet in front of the other three riders.

As I'm riding (about 16 MPH) I noticed that traffic was backed up from a traffic light in the opposite direction; nothing new at this time of day. Anyway a black VW GTI is screaming up the road towards the stopped traffic. I'm thinking to myself "There's NO way he's going to stop in time." Sure enough, he notices the error of his ways and jams on his brakes (must have switched his ABS/DSC off as well judging by the yaw marks and length of skid) nails the car in front of him that was stopped and then shoots off across the road. I hear a scream behind me and think that one of our riders was hit. I swing around, the GTI is in a ditch and our 3 cyclists and still coming.

Divine intervention, luck whatever. The car shot about 3 feet in front of them and they all braked simultaneously. Needless to say it was an unnerving beginning to a most sublime ride last night.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Amazing read and, it would seem, there was some luck involved--none of the bikers were taken out. My wife Suzy was in her car at a stop sign when a young GI ran into the back of her car. He took off and 30 years later she still has neck pains. Not cool at all.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
X-14 years in Fire/Rescue/EMS-Advanced Life Support, I've taken a few CEU courses about documenting/noting markings at MVA/MVC incidents to help in determine mechanism of injury/treatment modality/extrication protocol. I'm far from being any kind of expert in interpretation, but can usually garner a decent idea of what had happened prior to impact. Unfortunately, it's been so dumbed down, all they teach now is the spiderweb in a windshield to rookies. Of course that all ended a few years ago after OTJI which left me with >60% loss of function in my left arm and hand.

Gan- I'm very sorry to hear that, my wife was rear-ended in a Kia Sportage but a huge Suburban while stopped. she was hit so hard the rear-external tire carrier bent and her seatbelt failed which threw her into the steering wheel and windshield. Woud you know it, a few years later, Kia recalled the seatbelt mechanism! She has an incredible amount of discomfort in her thoracic and lumbar spine. Unfortunately the surgery she would need is not FDA approved yet (multiple adn consecutive disc replacement). Oddly enough, when she was pregnant, her back was great due to the change in curvature and center of gravity. Back pain and batting eyelashes will not result in another child though;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts