Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to get Into mountain biking and can get a sunn kern s2 for £600 it has 160 forks on it and I think I would rather have 120s as I dont think I would need all the travel on the 160s how big of a job is it ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would change if i did go ahead and change it. The stability or ride just I don't think i need 160 travel as im only going to be riding cross country

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
Unless you are very sure of what you're doing, I would stay with the 160. Installing a shorter fork will change the geometry of the bike and affect its handling in ways which may be hard to predict in advance. You could end up with a lot of weird problems. I would stick with what's there. Best of luck, however you go :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless the frame is designed to use multiple length forks. My Santa Cruz specifically says that it supports either a 100 or 120mm fork. As others have said, if the bike is set up for 160mm then it might not ride correctly with a shorter fork. And honestly I can't image not wanting that extra 40mm. Check with the manufacture before spending the money.

The only place it would make sense is if you primarily will be climbing a lot of hills. Having the shorter fork would have you leaning forward slight (due to the shorter fork) which would be an advantage going up a hill, otherwise it's going to make it easier to go flying over the handlebars going down hill, and down hill is where all the fun is.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Buy a hardtail. Don't sell your bike though. Spares man, spares!
I have four bikes and the only thing I regret is selling a few along the way.
+1 for spares

1 - 11 of 11 Posts