Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an old late 80's Schwinn World Sport road bike and I'm looking to change the tires. The ones on them now are beginning to show dry rot and the tubes don't hold air for more than a day or two.

My question is, is taking off the back tire a lot of work, given all the gears and stuff connected? Are there any certain steps I need to take to make the job go smoothly?

Also, the tires are 27 x 1 1/4 in. What size tire tubes would I get along with these size tires?

All you expertise would be amazing. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Removing the rear wheel to replace the tire will be a bit messy, but you can do it. You'll need to get the same size tires and tubes as you currently have, which is easy enough. Just don't expect a selection as nice as if they were 700C.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i guess i'll just make mental notes of where everything is when i take it apart and try to put it back together the same way.

and i know! i was looking for tires that are 27in and there aren't many choices. although, i did find a decent white wall tire. it'll go nice with the old bike.

thanks again!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Shift into the smallest chainring and cog so the chain is under less tension. It will make removing the rear wheel easier. Removal of the rear wheel is fairly easy. You should be able to do it in under a minute.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you are that uncomfortable, take the bike to a local bike shop and one that has a maintenance shop too. Buy the tires there, and ask them to put them on for you and if you can watch them so you can learn how things go. You may have to pay a bit for the installation, but in fact you are not paying for installation. You are paying for EDUCATION.

Tell them up front you want to watch them put the tires on so you can learn how to do it, and any local bike shop worth its weight in salt will be happy to do that for you. Its something you really MUST know how to do. Sooner or later, you are going to be fixing one on the road somewhere.

After you see it done once, I have no doubt you will have no problems, and in all probability you would have no problem anyway.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
My buddy swapped out both of his tires last weekend in about 20 minutes...while drinking a beer!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the advice. it's helping me tremendously. i have pretty much no experience with bicycle maintenance.

another beginners question...

is there any difference between rim strips and rim tape? i'm looking into buying the tires and the tubes and i realized i need rim strips or rim tape. any advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any opinions on some good brakes?

my fuji mountain bike has the linear pull brakes i think they're called? the ones where you can release the brake line quickly to take the tire off easily.

the world sport doesn't have that and it's kind of annoying when i want to take the front tire off to cart it around.

any good brakes for a low cost? and what are those actually called - the brakes with the quick release?

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
If you haven't bought the tires yet..Biketiresdirect.com has those 27 x 1 1/4 for $9.00, they have the strips and tubes too.
Black or white wall normally in stock and they ship out quick.
I buy them by the dozen to support my hobby. Go slow, it's really not a problem to swap those tires at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone for the help!

any suggestions on good bicycle parts websites? i am currently looking into buying new rims (27 x 1 1/4, alloy hopefully), new brakes and possibly some new pedals.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
thanks everyone for the help!

any suggestions on good bicycle parts websites? i am currently looking into buying new rims (27 x 1 1/4, alloy hopefully), new brakes and possibly some new pedals.
If you are replacing the wheels, you should just go ahead and update them to 700c. They're bigger, better, and you will have many more choices for tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are replacing the wheels, you should just go ahead and update them to 700c. They're bigger, better, and you will have many more choices for tires.
if i were to upgrade in tire size, would it affect my braking system and all that?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
if i were to upgrade in tire size, would it affect my braking system and all that?
Nope. There should be enough adjustment to accommodate the bigger wheels. I converted my old Schwinn and it was no problem. Also, if you are replacing your brake assemblies with something new, 700c is the standard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought this book when I decided to start trying all of my own repairs, and it has paid for itself many many times over. If you want to learn some of the basics about bike maintenance or simple repairs/installation then I would highly recommend it.

I still ask questions at my LBS or even here from time to time, but for an introduction to self-wrenching I'd say its a good buy.

·
Older than Hack
147 Posts
There are sometimes quick releases built into the brakes or into the levers. I have an old World Sport and I think maybe in the brakes where the cable goes in there was a little lever that you could flip up to release the tension the cable.

The trickiest part of removing the rear wheel is the derailleur. You may have to pull it back out of the way in order to get the wheel out and again to get it back it. As mentioned earlier, this is easier if you put it on the smallest cog before removing it.

·
Older than Hack
147 Posts
They're not bigger; they are about 8 mm smaller in diameter than 27" tires. Almost the same really.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you have any doubts about how things go, a napkin sketch, or better yet, a couple of digital images work great. I always document with pictures when I'm not sure how to do something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts