Cheap bike workstand

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Nigal, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Color me cheap or whatever ya want but I bought one of these bike work stands from Harbor Freight for $29 ($38 with shippiong). I stopped by the local store and asked if they carried it and the guy said "Not in the store but that's a good stand.", saying ti was pretty comparible to Parks Tool stands. Yeah right. It does look to have everything I need, it's 14 pounds so it's no lightweight and there are nearly zero moving parts to break.

I'll report back and give ya a review of it. And trust me, I don't candy coat anything. If I have bought a POS I admit it. LOL!

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hurry up, I got a 20% off and a free flashlight if the coopons don't run out befor you let us know how good it is :D

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

4. wild

;) :D :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

5. dcswan

dcswan New Member

My original thought was "Thanks for sharing the coupon!" But then the fine print hit me, no duplicates would be accepted, bummer:( Good thing for me my first club meeting (since I just joined it) is tonight. So not a complete waste of a day I guess:)

6. Industry_Hack

If you need a 20% off coupon, let me know.

7. Nigal

NOW ya tell me! LOL!

8. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Heck yeah, that'd be great. I'd be foolish to refuse that, thanks Brian!

9. Industry_Hack

Family Handyman magazine has coupons every month. If you're looking for a big ticket item from Harbor Freight, it's worth checking DIY mags for a coupon. Of course, that may just be for subscription copies, but it's worth checking into.

I've been a Harbor Freight customer since they had a single location in Camarillo, CA, and they were Harbor Salvage and Freight. Interesting history they have.

10. Industry_Hack

Shoot me a PM or email with your address, and I can mail you one, per above.

11. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I even found a 20% coupon in the back of Readers Digest.

Also their mailing list often offers up coupons via email.

12. wild

The coupons I have are only good instore.:(

13. Nigal

I got the work stand together and I'm going to say that this stand is a moderate winner. Meaning it surpasses it's $29 cost.

Quality:
    I was surprised at the finish of the frame pieces. They were heavy and seamed to be coated rather than painted. The plastic pieces that cradle the bike are fine but I think putting some thin rubber sheeting may give it a more solid grip and stop the frame from sliding on the hard plastic. I give it 8 of 10 on quality.

Fit:
    The fit was pretty good as far as the frame goes. The instruction book for assembly was horrible so it took me longer than it may take some mechanically inclined people to put it together. There were very few different sized bolts to figure out which i like. Once it was all together it was very stable and solid. 5 of 10

Problems:
    I did have two issues with fit and finish. There is a threaded bolt hole in the frame that accepts a bolt which holds a spring which attaches to the bike frame retaining hook. the coating on the stand frame had coated the threads and no matter how I carefully cleaned these threads the bolt was NOT going to go in that hole. it's no deal breaker and it would not keep me from buying this stand again as it does not effect the function of the stand. There were also fitting issues with the little tool tray that attaches to the front of the stand. The two hanger hooks which attach to the frame via two holes must be bent in order to match the two holes in the frame. The two hangers are more rigid than the tray itself so the tray actually bent rather than the hangers. It didn't ruin it or cause it not to function but I like my stuff to go together correctly.

Bottom Line:
    The stand works well. Is it s Parks Tool quality stand? No. But it's a $29 Chinese stand. It'll do what I need it to. Because of the fitting issues I'd have to say this; If you're a serious spin doctor pass it up. If you have a couple bikes and you're still using the kitchen chairs or turning your bikes upside down like we did as kids, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

I'll try and post some detailed pics of the stand later today.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  14. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Thanks for the review. I already have a park tool stand but but my brother is just getting into cycling and he may be looking for something similar.

15. wild

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will order 1 I have one that I made out of plastic pipe but that swings out from the wall, I can use this out side .

16. Nigal

[​IMG]

Bike in the stand:

[​IMG]

Slightly bent tray (hey, at least all the bolts and nuts will roll to the middle LOL):

[​IMG]

Note the spring hooked into the unused bolt hole:

[​IMG]

17. dcswan

dcswan New Member

I finally got to check out the store we have here in Dover De this weekend. Unless I'm just overlooking it, but I don't see anything on the website about this being an internet order item only but seems like it might be. They didn't have any in the store here either but did have the cycle tree

18. camilo

camilo New Member

Just a "for what it's worth" alternative in the inexpensive / non-pro work stands.

I've had an older version of this stand since the 90s:

Spin Doctor Essential II Work Stand
    [​IMG]

Of course, it's more money than the one discussed here, but it is very good quality, fit and finish. Not necessarily something a pro would use (but they can cost several hundred $), but for those of us who have a bike or two and work on them regularly, this one has been perfect for me, and is as solid as the day I bought it 15 years ago. It also folds flat for storage or transport (I have it hanging from hooks on the wall in my garage, zero space.). I really have a feeling that if you plan to use the thing regularly at all, this level of product would be a better bet.

If you're interested in this one, just be sure to check the spec on the downtube diameter. Mine is from the days of small-ish diameter steel tubes and my larger tube Cannondale CAAD frame that I bought a couple of years ago didn't fit well. I had to make a slight/easy modification. But I believe the current versions accommodate the standard size downtubes on contemporary bikes.

19. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Camilo, I had my eye on that stand for a while but I felt it didn't look too stable, side to side, and top heavy. Is that a good stand for washing and lubing as well as repair?

20. camilo

camilo New Member

I found it to be stable for all the uses I've had for it - general tuneups and cleaning, wheel changes, adjustments, etc.