Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering upgrading my fixed gear to something with fatter tires. Current bike is a Motobecane Messenger which can barely fit 28mm tires. I'd like to run at least 32's maybe bigger. The closer to free ti is, the closer it is to my price range. I'm familiar with the BikesDirect offerings (both their "track bikes and 29er mtb's) but I'm wondering if there are other inexpensive fixed gear bikes I should be aware of that can clear big tires. Again cheap is king here- I know several 'bike shop brands' offer SS cross bikes and recreational bikes but i can't afford another $600+ bike.

Thanks!

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i will search out this stead you want... it is my personal mission to find a single speed ready for fatties!

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now the front runner is:

$300 Windsor Timeline (46x16 gearing comes with 32mm but clears up to 42mm tires) Single Speed | Track Bikes | Road Bikes | Windsor Bikes - TimeLine | Fixed gear bikes that fit wide tires | Save up to 60% off new singlespeed bikes

There are a couple other (the Uno, the WT, Outcast 29er**) but the timeline seems to be the best value for a cheap knock-around bike. **out of stock

I'm also considering the Mongoose Cachet Mongoose Men's Bike, Cachet 700C, Fixed Speed - Walmart.com @ $150 it seems like it'd be hard to get hurt on a bike this cheap. I believe it is spec'd with 25mm tires but i'm having trouble finding out if it'll clear anything larger. (for $150 I'd settle for running 28's) Also at 6'2 " I'm a little on the big side for this one-size-fits-all bike.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
trek makes a ride called the gritty, takes a wide tire, does not come with one but will take it $440.... and the earl $460

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone is selling a Bianchi San Jose for $250 on the local craigslist but I'm skeptical. No pics of it and the ad says they 'changed everything but the frame' which is seems strange to me.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Someone is selling a Bianchi San Jose for $250 on the local craigslist but I'm skeptical. No pics of it and the ad says they 'changed everything but the frame' which is seems strange to me.
a good deal but does sound kinda strange....

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the look of it but at 6'2" I'm not sure if the 56cm frame will be comfortable. Other lesser complaints include, it isn't a fixed gear and even with the coaster brake I'd still like a front brake (which i'd have to buy because I don't have any in the parts box).

The 3 speeds look nice but as above, I'm concerned they may be too small. Having hand operated brakes vs. a coaster brake is a plus for me though. They are classy looking.

I thought this one was out of stock. It looks like they do have a couple in my size in black but again it is not (easily) fixed gear compatible and it is geared far too low for the type of riding i'll be doing. I have to factor in the cost of swapping out the chainring and potentially buying a bolt-on cog to turn the disc hub into a flip-flop. More $$$.

All good ideas though. Certainly all things to consider.

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
REI Novara Buzz One has recently come onto my new-bike-radar.

Novara Buzz One Bike - 2011 at REI.com

MSRP of $400 but I have a 20% off coupon and about $30 in credit from what I spent there last year. This would get the bike down to about $300ish. I'm digging the huge tire clearances and horizontal dropouts for running fenders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts