Cheap wheels for trainer/rollers

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Anyone know a good source for new, cheap road wheels? I'm looking to get a set that is purely for putting on the bike when I'm riding the rollers or my trainer. I've checked Ebay, but the majority of the cheap wheels they have are for Shimano hubs. I need Campy. In addition, if I'm gonna ask my wife for a set for Christmas, I'd rather be able to point her to an internet retailer.

Also, does anyone know any issues with mounting a Centaur cassette when the rest of the drivetrain is Record? I can't imagine there being any problems, but was just afraid there's some little nuance that I haven't thought of. A source for a cheap cassette would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

How about a pair of Aksiums or Fulcrum 7..? they're not the absolute cheapest but very modestly priced and can double as back up wheels should you ever need. They can be bagged on ebay or through the various e stores and can be campy equipped.

3. Xela

Thanks! I'll check those out.

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Xela, are you worried about wearing out your good wheels and cassettes on the indoor rollers? This might not be a real concern. I've never noticed any issues after long winters on the rollers with my good road stuff. Tyre wear, yes. But the wheel set and gears, not anything I can detect. No bumps at all on the rollers. That's what buggers wheels.

As for tyres, they do make special indoor rubber for rollers and resistance trainers. I've not tried these because I've not seen a need for it.

For gear systems, the enemy is road dirt. Start with a good clean chain and gear system and lube as needed. You'll see no wear at all for just spinning the winter away. It's abrasive crud that eats our iron work.

5. Xela

Thanks, Ian. I mostly just want the convenience of not switching tires. There are a lot of days where I would like to do a quick 20 mile loop at my lunch break and still go home and ride the rollers. So, I guess it's just laziness and not wanting to switch tires twice a day.

6. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

i found some shimano wheels at chainreaction.com for realy cheap ....

front

rear

7. petkos

petkos New Member

Fayetteville Ark,? Isn't that where Orbea has its close out store? Go visit them for a demo set or take offs from the previous year....