Chester Cheeto Bikes

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Chester, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Chester

Chester Guest

Has anyone ever heard of the cheetos bicycles that were made in like the 80's? I heard the company making them quit, then the ship the other ones were on was in a storm and most got crushed, then the employees took about half, and there were 150 or so left that got put in stores for some coloring competition.

About 16 years ago I knew a kid that had one, he called it a "Cheeto Bimbito" bike... just wondering if these are collectible or very rare / valuable or if anyone else has heard of them?

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Never heard of em but wouldn't think they are worth too much. I know all the common bikes like the Dr. Pepper and Snap-on Tools bikes aren't worth hardly anything. Who knows but if you see one take a pic so we can see it.

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I found this by googling it was on Yahoo

Here's what I know and it's straight from Cheetos Headquarters in Texas. Crayola Crayon and Cheetos teamed up for the Color My World promotion. They order 1500 bikes from a company in Taiwan. After this company started building them they figured out that they wasn't going to get rich and stopped building at 1000 bikes. They shipped the bikes and during the trip over the ship they were on was caught in a bad storm and the entire load on board the ship shifter, crushing the load of bikes. Cheetos sent a insurance adjuster out by helicopter and they wrote off about 650 bikes as being damaged. Then the crew of the ship was order to throw the damaged bikes overboard. The remaining bikes made it to the warehouse in the USA. About 150(approx.) bikes were taken home by Cheetos big shots or given to their buddys. The remaining 200(approx.) were put on display in stores thru out the US then given away as 1st prize in the Crayola Crayon/Cheetos Color My World Contest. It's also listed in a book called "The Evolution Of The Bicycle 2"

There was a photo floating around the web a while ago but I can't find it now.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Now, wouldn't that be Yahooing???;)

5. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

Wow other than the atrocious grammar it was very informative

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Hey I copied and pasted, at least I did fix the spelling but only because it had a red squiggly line under the words spelled wrong.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Almost reads like a joke. Never of heard it before. Learn something everyday.

8. Comko

Comko Guest

I kind of remember these bikes. That's hilarious that he calls it the "Cheeto Bimbito"! We used to have a dog growing up who my dad would feed Cheetos to as a treat. He called her the "Cheeto Bimbito". lol

9. surfinbird

surfinbird Guest

Did they make pee wee herman bikes too?

10. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

is the "Cheeto Bimbito" related any way to the "Frito Bandito"?..lol... ride on

11. orange

orange Guest

hi – have one and need to downsize, anyone interested?
    it's in great shape - i will try to get some pics soon.

12. breezerbikeman

breezerbikeman New Member

cheetos bike

I have one of these very rare bikes.
    The story told is verifiably correct.
    I have personally spoken with a representative from Frito headquarters in Plano, Tx. trying to obtain permission to duplicate the yellow Cheetos
    "It ain't easy bein' cheesy" license plate that is missing from the back seat of mine, and asked about the history and how many were produced.
    And what she shared with me was pretty much the same excepting a discrepency with the date, according to her, they were actually manufactured in the fall of 1989 for the then coming up 1991 Crayola/Cheetos "Color My World" coloring competition. only 150 of these bikes were actually distributed to retailers across the country to be displayed and given to the selected winners of the contest.
    The remaing 200 made it to the Frito Lay Texas warehose but never made it out.... they went to corporate big-wigs and their kin. (talk about nepitism)
    Theres no telling how many have survived of the original 350 . There is a nice example on ebay right now with plenty of clear pics. it is posted for $3,500.00.
    hope this has been helpful, and yes I would be willing to sell mine
    (like new condition) if the offer was tempting enough....

13. accusedoflove

accusedoflove New Member

chester cheetah cheesy rider

hey! do you still have this bike? i'm interested. please let me know! thanks!

14. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

he only posted that one post, a long time ago. he will probably not reply

15. Cooper

Cooper New Member

I have this Cheetos Bike in my storage building still. I won it back around 1992 and never even aired up the tires nor ride it. It has some surface rust on it due to it being 24 to 25 yrs old. I may be interested in selling mine if price is good.

16. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

I'd be hesitant to ride a bicycle from a company who failed so miserably to produce a safe food product.