Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I'm fairly experienced with biking but, I'm fairly new at being a dad and don't know much about bike trailers for kids.

My daughter turns one this month and soon will be big enough to ride a trailer/etc. I'm looking forward to it because my wife and I used to bike a lot together, but last year didn't get to much. (just a season, you can't leave a baby alone to go on a bike ride together) There are some really nice bike paths by our house, so it should be fun?

Anyone have really anything insightful to share about these things?
What's good/not?
What should I look for?
Where can I find one that's safe and doesn't cost $$$$$$$$$$$$?
Do kids even like these things?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Craig I don't have kids so I can't speak to individual trailers. Don't forget to check out those seats that mount like a rear rack as well. I have talked to people that liked both. As far as safe, you understand biking so trust your common sense. Just look for weak spots then make your own best judgment. The nieces and nephews I have spoiled and sent home almost always like to have the wind in their face at least for a while. Some would sit in a swing all day happy. Can't see where a bike would be any different. IF there was anything really major, the odds are that unless its a new brand or model, the CPSC would have hopefully already dealt with the issue. New brands, models or anything different or unique, I would look at close. Most of what is out there is tried and true.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Not a fan of the seat. If the bike gets knocked over, it's really bad news. Don't judge my parenting skills, but when my son was three months old, I went to the local fabric store and bought some heavy nylon webbing and buckles. I made a nice seatbelt, and strapped his car seat into our bike trailer. He loved it, and my wife loved that she could bring him, the diaper bag, camera, camcorder, lunch, and a gallon of water. Yes, I was really fit!

The idea of getting hit by a car while cycling with your kid is frightening. But I'm certain that I'd rather have mine in his car seat in a trailer than in a seat attached to the back of a bike.

My son turns 20 next month, and is putting himself through an engineering school to get a Bachelor's of Innovation in game design and development. That's about $27k/year in scholarship money. He's into his 2nd year, and has asked for a laptop and a new bike to get around campus. Apparently, he survived the trailer just fine, even with the off roading we did as he got older.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I have a 19 month old daughter and have been hauling her around since she was 10 months old in a Copilot Model A trailer. It's on the cheaper end of the spectrum (I think Amazon has them dirt cheap now), but it's folding mechanism is identical to some of the Burleys costing more than twice as much. It rides on 20 inch wheels if I remember correctly, so it isn't the fastest one out there, but it's light and the hitch mechanism is decent enough. Some things, like the way the flag pole is retained (a nylon sleeve) is cheap, but you can't beat the bang for the buck. The trunk is big enough for our diaper bag, my wife's pocketbook, and some odds and ends. She's a huge fan of it, loves looking out the windows. We only ride the bike paths along the boardwalk and on some small side streets. Not sure how I feel about taking her in such a low-slung "vehicle" with cars whizzing by. She's too big for an infant carrier so we're out of luck there for additional protection. I did get her an infant/toddler helmet to wear, she's 50/50 on wearing the helmet after 10 minutes or so, but getting better. It's pink and has flashing lights, so it keeps her happy.

I'm not a fan of the seat mounted to the bike, as a paramedic I've seen some incidents where it wasn't a good idea. YMMV.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When my sons were young enough for a trailer I looked around and ended up buying a Burley. The trailer is safe, bullet proof and the hitch is secure and takes only seconds to connect. I could've spent less but I kept thinking how I'd feel if I had a problem that injured my kids due to having bought a cheaper trailer. I decided to cut corners elsewhere and I was never sorry to have the Burley.

I use a Burley Nomad cargo trailer now for light touring and I'd never use panniers while this trailer is available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts