Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age is it okay for a child to be pulled by a bike trailer?

·
Registered
69 Posts
We used our bike trailer a lot when the kids were younger. I'm pretty sure we started when he was about 18 months or so... maybe 2 years at the latest.

·
Banned
430 Posts
My baby rode in a modified trailer at under 1 year. She really liked it and now constantly wants to ride in trailers or on her bicycles and scooters (she's 2 now).

I started her out riding in a fabric covered kid trailer, with a solid bottom added, and a thickly padded car seat bolted to that. It was set up so it had a little "give" to the plastic board, and the original fabric under that, and it had the fattest BMX tires that would fit in the trailer frame, for cushion.
I used it basically like a jogging stroller, for a low speed scenic ride on pavement paths, and a couple well-groomed and very flat nature trails. We always had plenty of snacks, baby food, changing supplies, clothes, toys, etc, and of course blankets for her to lay on to nap or play.

Now, she likes to go as fast as I can haul her, but we usually keep to about 10-15mph, and she sits in the standard seat with seatbelts and usually a helmet. On her bikes she always wears the helmet.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Some people carry small infants in twin seat trailers, by adding a component that works sort of like a long, padded stretcher for the baby, in place of the fabric bench seat. I've seen them for the really fancy trailers, but I'm sure they are more common in Europe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burley-Stro...r-/221027180956?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true
There, it's called an "infant baby snuggler" online, and it's $85! ouch.

Here's something like I did with mine. The car seat took up the whole interior, so it woudln't work for 2 kids then.
http://bp3.blogger.com/_5PAf404x7S8/SGAxuAXlymI/AAAAAAAAC-A/kRusl6et_SI/s400/DSCF2187.jpg
http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-transport-infant-by-bike.html

http://sadpanda.us/images/1221162-8TJBZ73.jpg

·
1,393 Posts
An added question would be the transition time between trailers / the tag-along bike that attaches to the back of the bike & then riding with the family - my grandson is 5, a big 5 and too big for either and my daughter and husband want to start riding for exercise- thanks to the bikes we gave them - kind of difficult - in the early ages they make for good exercise because you are towing them - what do you do when they are too big for that ?? Sorry for the thread deviation

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'm a terrible parent. I strapped the entire car seat into our trailer when my son was two months old. He's now 21, finishing his 4th year of college, and owns a folding bike,but no car.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
My daugher started in our first trailer (the Co-Pilot) at 1 year, 1 week. She was able to sit up, hold her head up, and had a helmet that fits. I had her slightly reclined so the weight of the helmet wouldn't be too much for her neck.

Since this spring, she's been in the WeeHoo, she doesn't like the enclosed trailer anymore and enjoys being able to pedal with me, when she so chooses (mostly going uphill, great kid!). I use the WeeHoo-1-5 times a week and she loves it when I pick her up via bicycle.

Assembly is easy, usage has a bit of a learning curve.

·
1,393 Posts
salvage_bikes said:
I had no idea what a Weehoo was. It sounds like something out of a Dr. Seuss book. It looks really cool though! A recumbent trail-a-bike, with a seat bar/retention system. Genius!
$300-400 though. (ouch)

http://www.waltscycle.com/merchant/2262/images/features/WeeHooI-Go.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/808195/weehoo-i-go-trailer-bike?preferredSku=8081950019&cm_mmc=cse_shopping-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:referralID=4485d4ce-11b0-11e2-b779-001b2166c62d
What is the upper age group this could be used with?

·
Banned
430 Posts
I'm guessing 6 or 7. "Recommended rider height on the Weehoo i-Go is 38 - 52 in., with a maximum weight limit of 65 lbs."
I don't know though. My 2yo is already 36" tall and 33lb. (She is strong!) :)

It looks like one of those things you use and re-use till your kids all have outgrown it, then keep it for a house-warming gift for family or re-sell on Fleabay.

Here's a growth chart for average weight and height of male and female children.
It looks like it might work for a slim 9 to 11 year old child if they don't mind the short cranks, but by then, they should be on their own bikes. I saw a guy on a road racing bike a couple weeks ago, going about 20-25mph with a trail-a-bike in tow, and a girl that looked to be about 10. It was leaning kind of disconcertingly, but didn't wobble, and she wasn't complaining about the speed.

What is the upper age group this could be used with?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I've had my daughter in the WeeHoo since she was 2 and a half. Yup but when you look at the prices of Chariot/Croozer trailers, it is cheap!

I look at it this way:

I spend $300 on a trailer for my daughter.
$300 gets me:
exercise
fresh air
beat traffic
my daughter exercise
save gas on the cage
most importantly:

quality time with my daughter.

Best $300 spent on cycling.

I also got her the canopy for it since we ride in the sun and she is very fair skinned. Even with sunblock, why take a chance?

·
1,393 Posts
i've had my daughter in the weehoo since she was 2 and a half. Yup but when you look at the prices of chariot/croozer trailers, it is cheap!

I look at it this way:

I spend $300 on a trailer for my daughter.
$300 gets me:
Exercise
fresh air
beat traffic
my daughter exercise
save gas on the cage
most importantly:

Quality time with my daughter.

Best $300 spent on cycling.

I also got her the canopy for it since we ride in the sun and she is very fair skinned. Even with sunblock, why take a chance?
good dad !!!!!!!

·
Banned
430 Posts
I was pulling my kid in a trailer the other day, and a motorist stopped and STARED at me, like maybe she was going to "report" me or something. lol. I just smiled and waved at her, and my kid waved from the trailer. She made a bewildered face and drove away. hahaha.

·
1,393 Posts
My children you lucky I guess that I wasn't riding when they were young - like Knee said children love it - but i would have probably started a little too early and snugged them up in the seat with Duct Tape !

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Check on CL these trailer bikes are on there quite often. I picked up a Trek Mountain Train for 10 bucks on the side of the road used it for a few years with the grandchildren. When they out grew it I listed it for 75 on CL and ended up getting 60 for it.

I am willing to bet the Weehoo would fetch a couple of hundred used.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My daughter is going for her 1st trailer (Burley Bee) ride tomorrow. 11 month old. Helmet worn of course.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,301 Posts
My daughter is going for her 1st trailer (Burley Bee) ride tomorrow. 11 month old. Helmet worn of course.
I hope it's fun all around! I recently got to pull my 2-yo niece in her trailer, and it was a lot of fun. Also surprisingly intimidating to have live cargo instead of the groceries or other ballast I normally pull.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts