Chopper/cruiser build

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by KyleER, Aug 4, 2009.

1. KyleER

KyleER New Member

So, I have am old mongoose bmx sitting in my shed...a few years ago i got the idea to make it into a chopper somehow and use it for around town and to get to the beach as a break from my mountain bike....the problem is im a little unsure where to start....basically i want to get some apehangers and longer spring style forks for it and possibly a banana seat...

other stuff like a paint job, wider rear tire, and smaller front tire will come later, but right now, im just not sure where to get parts....nirve has a pretty limited selection, but i like what i see...the problem is that i fear conflicts in sizing and whatnot...where should i go/look for parts? id like to be able to physically go to a shop, but the bike shops i frequent typically only have mainstream mtbk, bmx, and road parts...any suggestions?

2. MFG_bike

MFG_bike Guest

Ever find out anything Hardt114?

3. KyleER

KyleER New Member

no, i never found anything out and i basically put that whole thing on hold because now im just using that bike to get around campus since i have no qualms about leaving it out in the rain all the time...i hope i can do it come day though. hopefully this summer ill build a chopper out of that or possibly an old beach cruiser frame...
    if i ever do ill be sure to document the whole thing and get it up in a thread here

4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

do you have a local bike co-op or someting similar that might be a source for cheap/free parts?

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

What size is your headtube? Electra makes a springer fork for their cruisers, has a 1" steerer.

Be prepared to go through headset bearings faster.

6. KyleER

KyleER New Member

why's that?