Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cycling in London has become impossible. LBC radio reporter puts it too the test:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_PLYhEOQQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

·
Two skinny J's
21,590 Posts
I don't think the only problem is with cyclist there :D There's just no where to put any vehicle!

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I don't see where that ride is any different from what commuters experience every day in any large US city. Personally, I think the cyclist made some very risky moves and created several of his own problems. A few observations:

0:41+ When he starts, motorists are certainly encroaching on the bike lane. But at that time he's just sitting there, not moving, and not in any danger. If motorists still drive in the bike lane when he's actually riding in it, he has a beef.

1:14-1:40 - He passes a silver minivan at 1:14. I would advise waiting in the lane behind the minivan rather than continuing to filter forward to split the lane with the truck. He passes the truck on the of "inside" of the lane ... the US equivalent of passing on the right. I don't know what the lane splitting laws are in the UK, but in the US, lane splitting by bikes and motorcycles is legal in CA and a few other places. It is definitely not legal in most states. Furthermore, filtering past a large vehicle on the inside is a very high risk move that gets people killed. Also, notice the bike box at the stop light. He hugs the curb rather than taking a central position in the bike box. That sets him up for the close pass at 1:37. It would have been better take the lane in the bike box front of the truck to avoid the close pass.

1:58 He passes between the bus and SUV, filtering and riding close to some very large vehicles. At least he slowed enough to not hit the pedestrian crossing between the busses at 1:59

2:09 - At last, he's, waiting his turn and passing properly "He asks Do You Go or not go?" Not go is the only safe choice.

3:16 Ok. The van did cut him off, but pressing forward after it was clear what was happening was pretty high risk.

3:48 Yes, the cab did almost right hook him.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cyclist deaths on the cycle super highways (fancy name for cycle lanes) rose last year in London with some high profile accidents making the news in London. Obviously prompting LBC news to test it out with this report yesterday.
I must admit I found a number of the reporters actions bordering stupid, i.e following two other cyclists a taxi cab needing to make a left turn with indication the rider should show some road sense and give way a little and also the black Vehicle at an unusual angle across a one-way street should alert the rider to a potential problem.
Having said that and what the report doesn't get across is the huge amounts of motor vehicles now filling London's Victorian road system over the past decade, the vehicles parked up on the cycle highways and the rising daily amount of injuries to cyclists in the capital.
The mayor has invested huge amounts in the Boris bike rental system and promoted it highly. The problem is people with no road sense can hire one of the cycles and be totally oblivious to the dangers of cycling on such overcrowded roadways.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... then again a friend sent me this clip that I suppose raises the question how many of these injuries on the capitals roads are down to the stupidity of the cyclist?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAYkdlKEGI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts