Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to fixing up and cleaning my bike so this may be a very simple question.

I just cleaned out my front wheel hub. I regreased inside the cups, regreased the bearings, the axle, and the cones. After tightening the cone enough so that there is no play or wiggle room nor any tightness, I tightened the locknut on in order to lock in place the load. There seems to be roughness as I spin the wheel after seeming to get it perfect before putting on the locknut.

Is it just a matter of constantly trying to find the right balance between tightening and loosening the inner cone and tightening the locknut so as not to disturb the load that one sets, or could it be that the axle is nicked up a bit?

Thank you for your time.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Most likely, it's just a little too snug.

What works best for me is this: when you get 'proper' adjustment on the cone, run the locknut up against it, and turn the cone back against the locknut, no more than a tiny fraction of a turn. RARELY, I have to re-do because it was too loose.....

This works well with the crappy hubs on Walfart bikes, so it should be sweet on a good hub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely, it's just a little too snug.

What works best for me is this: when you get 'proper' adjustment on the cone, run the locknut up against it, and turn the cone back against the locknut, no more than a tiny fraction of a turn. RARELY, I have to re-do because it was too loose.....

This works well with the crappy hubs on Walfart bikes, so it should be sweet on a good hub.

Thanks a lot, I'll try that out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts