Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cycling pants are a good thing, but if you choose the wrong one or use it improperly, it can easily backfire. The first of these is the cleaning of cycling pants.

The pant pads of cycling pants are prone to breeding bacteria, so pay attention to cleaning and disinfection after each wearing. In order to avoid the deformation of cycling pants, it is recommended that you wash them by hand. After washing, wring out the water with your hands and let it dry. Do not use a washing machine to spin dry.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Other than cycling specific bibs/tights, i only have one pair of “cycling pants.” I’ve had them a couple years. I purchased them when they were on clearance, thinking i could use them for work related cycling, but i have yet to wear them on a bike.

I seem to recall the care instructions had similar captions about bacteria, but these have clear instructions for machine wash.

I hang dry everything.

Hand washing makes a lot of sense though. I believe that would be gentler on the fabric.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,160 Posts
I have heard that the occasional machine dry tightens up the fibers ... I have used (or my wife has) both methods, so far no conclusive results.

Mine wear out in the contact areas before anything else can go wrong .... but I cram a lot of flesh into them so it is not surprising they are eager to quit.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,312 Posts
I just wash in machine with underwear and socks then pull them out and let them air dry and rest goes in dryer. All my dry fit shirts and rashguards or jerseys get washed in machine and hung to dry in the AC.

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,882 Posts
Mine generally die if they do due to elastic failure. This likely reflects my steadily thickening middle rather than a manufacturing defect ;). Other than that, my padded shorts last well, despite being machine washed with gentle soap after every ride. I also hang or lay them flat to dry but they do occasionally find their way into the drier. I typically get several years out of a given pair.

A quick note on wear patterns which I hope everyone here realizes: the stretchy spandex part of the padded shorts will last a very long time, but well before it wears out, it turns increasingly transparent. I have several pair of padded shorts which would give passers by an unwanted show if I wore them alone. Since I always ride in regular or MTB shorts, that has never been a consideration for me. It should be but clearly is not a consideration for many who wear their padded shorts without anything over them.

I don't mean to shame anyone, but at every cycling event I've thus far attended, there have been a few members of both genders modeling a kind of semi-bare butt look thanks to the see-through nature of older shorts. I also see it regularly out on the trail. When the light is right, generally low as in early morning or late evening, it seems to just pass straight through spandex of a certain age, resulting in, ehh, extra moons over the road as it were :D. I hasten to add that for the most part, these are not the kind of moons anyone wants to observe.

This isn't limited to cycling shorts: yoga pants have a similar issue even when they start out completely opaque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts