Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for cleaning light-colored sidewalls? (Please, no lectures about how righteous dudes let their bikes stay dirty.)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I remove my wheels and wash the rims/tires in the bath tub with a bucket of soapy water and a nylon bristle brush.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Welcome!

I don't have an answer for ya, so I'm also interested in what others have to say. I would think something like 'Simply Green' and depending on how dirty, a scrub brush would work well. Many of us on the site have bikes clean enough to eat off of so I don't think anyone will give you grief.

·
Two skinny J's
21,350 Posts
I have white hoods and until recently white sidewall tires and use Purple Power Citrus cleaner and a scotch brite pad. Always done the trick for me :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Citrus cleaner is an organic solvent. Personally I wouldn't it use on rubber, but it maybe OK. Simple green is more of a detergent I believe and probably safer.

Washing with soap and water as I do will probably not remove stains from light colored sidewalls, but it will clean them, which is what Richard asked about.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Our friends at Kimberly Clark make a product called "WypAll". They are hand cleaner towelettes that work great on white bar tape and white wall tires. Removes chain tattoo like it was never there also. I have been using them for about 5 years and never had any problems. I keep a few folded up in a ziplock bag stored in my saddle bag to clean up road side after any road side maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davereo said:
Our friends at Kimberly Clark make a product called "WypAll". They are hand cleaner towelettes that work great on white bar tape and white wall tires. Removes chain tattoo like it was never there also. I have been using them for about 5 years and never had any problems. I keep a few folded up in a ziplock bag stored in my saddle bag to clean up road side after any road side maintenance.
That sounds like what I'm looking for. If they work as you described, I may go back to white bar tape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: WypAll cloth plus Simple Green is helping a lot. It takes more scrubbing than it would with a heavy-duty solvent, but I would like to avoid using those on my tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts