Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best thing to use to degrease the drivetrain?? Is there any degreaser that I can buy at Target? Or should I go to a bike shop to get my supplies!!

·
PureFix Fun
64 Posts
ha funny you should say that, i just went to walmart and bought a can of degreaser and bike lube from White Lighting. I did a double application of the degreaser and 1 application of the Bike Lube (Epic Ride). Went down the block to feel a difference. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Myself I would go lightly on the degreaser. I generally moisten a rag with the degreaser and wipe the chain and drive train components removing the external grime. I apply lube immediately afterwards.

I use Shimano hypo spit on the deraileur pivots and cable guide beneath the bottom bracket. Shimano hypo spit comes in a neat little tube with a needle applicator that allows you to precisely apply where it's needed.

I use clean ride ceramic wet lube on my chain. I apply one drop on each roller and allow it to seap into the chain overnight. Before going on my next ride I wipe the chain of excess lube and off I go.

Any lube and degreaser you have available to you locally is OK to use. Better to clean and lube than to not.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I use Simple Green degreaser.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm with Davereo, I soak a rag in a 50/50 solution of simple green and water, then pedal the chain backwards through the rag about 50 or 70 turns and wait a few minutes for it to dry. Then I'll pull the wheel off and spray the cassette with a squirt or two of pure simple green and scrub it clean with an old toothbrush, rinse off the old grime and re install. Finally I'll put a drop of ceramic lube on each link and pedal it through a few times to get it on the cassette too.

I got this method from a YouTube search, so I'm sure there are other perfectly acceptable ways to do it.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
You need to finish that question, if you really want the best answer. Is this a road or mountain bike? Do you ride in dirty, dusty, or wet conditions? All this makes a difference in how you service your chain.

If you have a properly lubricated chain, and there isn't a lot of dust or fine grit making its way into your rollers, then a simple wipe down and application of dry lube is fine. If you are doing water crossings, riding in mud, or get a lot of dirt on your chain, then a more thorough cleaning is necessary.

Two things to keep in mind:

If it's not dirty, don't clean it. Stripping the chain of all lubricant can be bad if you don't get all the cleaning agent out before lubing, or if you don't lube it properly when done.

If it is dirty, clean it properly. You'll need to be thorough, and get all the grit and grime out. Wiping down a dirty chain and lubing it again won't do squat if you've got abrasive grit in and around the plates and rollers.

Moral of the story? Assess your chain's needs first, then you can decide what kind of cleaning it requires. I use a White Lightning dry lube for my MTB/commuter bike as well as my single speed. If I was riding in the rain, I would switch to a wet lube. For my BMX and beach cruiser, which see limited use, I use Chain Oil No5.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
...Wiping down a dirty chain and lubing it again won't do squat if you've got abrasive grit in and around the plates and rollers...
If you saturate the chain with White Lightning or Rock 'n' Roll, then wipe it off, you will flush out a lot of that grit. Repeat a few times and you can get the chain pretty darn clean.

I ride in all weather and never use degreaser...

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Giant makes a citrus based, foam degreaser that I use to remove the grease from the cassette and the chainrings. With it being foam, it doesn't run into bearings like liquid degreaser. I spray it on a rag to clean the chain. I use dry Teflon lube on the chain, which seems to work better than the other chain lubes I've used.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I asked the LBS and got Pedro's Oranj Peelz degreaser & Boeshield T-9 dry lube. It was way over priced but he's a fountain of help. I used to use 3 in 1 oil. It got messy fast. The new stuff is great.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Johnv, do you attack the foam on the cassette with a brush and rinse with water?

Also, how ofter do you lube your BB?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts