Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with shims or sole insert sets? The inserts come with shims that you place under the insert. I wear Specialized Comp shoes with Look Keo cleats. Knee, posted something about fitting that touched on shims and inserts. I am curious to hear some first hand experience.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I"ve used the Lemond and Specialized shims, I think the Lemond shims worked better for me. The Specialized shims made my feet fall asleep.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those in shoe shims or external cleat shims?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Lemond external, Specialized internal

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
De nada Muchacho de El Vox-Oh!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
My Retul fitter put some Specialized shims in my shoes to correct my foot angle. I have one in my left shoe and two in my right shoe and they made a world of difference. Since they're under the shoe insert, I don't even know they are there until my shoes get wet and I take them out to dry the inside of the shoes.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John_V said:
My Retul fitter put some Specialized shims in my shoes to correct my foot angle. I have one in my left shoe and two in my right shoe and they made a world of difference. Since they're under the shoe insert, I don't even know they are there until my shoes get wet and I take them out to dry the inside of the shoes.
Was there any trimming to get them to fit. What inserts do you use? Looks like I may need the blues or medium arch inserts. How ling did it take you to get it right? Did you have to bring the right side of the foot up?

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
omnivox42 said:
Was there any trimming to get them to fit. What inserts do you use? Looks like I may need the blues or medium arch inserts. How ling did it take you to get it right? Did you have to bring the right side of the foot up?
Omni,

I think there was some trimming done to get them to fit, but I don't know how much. I wear Specialized BG MTB Pro shoes (size 8 1/2 or 44) and the shims were just a little wide. The inserts are the standard inserts that come with the shoes. The shims are white and he put them in and adjusted them on the second fitting session (I had a total of three sessions). I don't have anything for arch support, they're only under the ball of the foot. My feet had a tendency to pull the medial (inside) side of my feet upward when in the down stroke. The thicker parts of the shims are on the lateral side to compensate for it. The Retul fitting takes all the angles and pressures of your body while riding and gives a 3D representation of exactly what you are doing and makes correction suggestions. Next to my bike, it's the best money I have spent on anything cycling.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the blue (medium) specialized inserts and shims. I am running the insoles in both shoes and the yellow shim in my right shoe. What I noticed thus far is that the added arch support is very nice. My foot no longer is searching for its place in the shoe, is just sticks in place.

Today was my first ride with the inserts and I only rode 12 miles however my feet felt comfortable. I noticed a spot on the inside of my arch on the right foot that was getting some pressure from the insole, but I think my foot will wear that spot down over time. They are new after all. The problem spot was the outside of my right foot and after 12 miles of cranking today I felt no such pain. We will see on Saturday when I do the group ride.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Omni,

Glad to hear that you are getting relief with the shims and inserts. Lots of times, this is all that is needed to correct some of the issues that people have with their feet. The white ones that I have are the 1.25 mm varus shims. They eliminated the problem I had with the inside of my feet rising on the downstroke, which caused my knees to pull away from the frame. Since I don't have that issue when I walk, the fitter thought it may have been caused by the position of my cleats and the smaller contact area of the SPD pedals I have. Whatever, the cause was, there is no longer a problem with the feet or the knees doing anything that they aren't suppose to be doing.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rode 37 miles on the inserts and shim today. Made it through the entire ride with no pain. Well not that pain. I.did get.some heat AMD tingling but it went away quickly. I'll keep an eye out, but they may have licked the.problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts