Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the vain of the cadence thread I would be curious what your average climb or elevation gain per ride would be? Mine varies on what ride I do. Today I managed to get 1656 ft of climb with a max grade of 11.9 % I'm not sure the 11.9 % percent is very accurate though. I would say general I only manage 500-900 ft but they are good for some intervals. Sport tracks shows todays ride was 92.4 % flat, 4.8 % of the time was ascending and 2.8 % of the time descending.
It aint no Rocky Mountain numbers but i always wounder how this area generally compares to others.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I live in south Texas the biggest climb on my ride is the one foot rise from my driveway to the street in front of my house. Other than that it is more or less flat around here. The elevation around here runs between 20 and 30 feet above sea level. Pretty boreing ah.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I'm still pretty much a beginner my rides are fairly short compared to some numbers I see thrown around here but I'll share my figures for my 2 regular rides.

Trail 5.08mi total climb 437ft max grade 10.2%
Trail 10.5mi total climb 781ft max grade 9.9%

Tell you what they may not be Rocky Mountian numbers either but just starting out they really beat me up.

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1191 ft of climb today max grade 10%. Worked hard on keeping cadence up today but only managed 89 today, 18.7 mph avg over 41.39 miles. Pleased overall with these numbers. That 20 mph avg continues to evade me.

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Pancake flat! Or pretty much around here. Big climb today on a Sunday morning ride with the wife. Couple of bridges. 38 miles, 92 cadence, Avg. HR 125, Avg. Speed 19.4, elev. vertical change +74'.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Yea pertty flat here except for the 3 little hills in the first mile and thay are there the last mile too. some days thay feel like MT, Everest comming home :D

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
We have lots of rolling hills out here. Nothing real huge as far as sustained climbs. But, at a minimum, a 20 plus mile ride will have at least 1000 feet of elevation gain. On the weekends, I usually go with a route that has a moderate amount of climbing. Typical 70 to 80 miles with 3500' to 5000' of elevation gain. Here's the profile for one of my favorite out-and-backs. This one has about 4300 feet of elevation gain over 80 miles.

282profile.jpg

Nothing like the Son of Death Ride that a friend of mine in CA is going to do later this month.

Geoladders -- SOD - 138 Mile Route

Attachments

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
My sister in law came for a visit from N. CA. We took her on a group ride. When I told her there was a "hill" comming up and did she want to join me in attacking it. She just laughed at the bridge and said flatly "not a hill", "I'll be waiting for you on the other side".

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have lots of rolling hills out here. Nothing real huge as far as sustained climbs. But, at a minimum, a 20 plus mile ride will have at least 1000 feet of elevation gain. On the weekends, I usually go with a route that has a moderate amount of climbing. Typical 70 to 80 miles with 3500' to 5000' of elevation gain. Here's the profile for one of my favorite out-and-backs. This one has about 4300 feet of elevation gain over 80 miles.

View attachment 3030

Nothing like the Son of Death Ride that a friend of mine in CA is going to do later this month.

Geoladders -- SOD - 138 Mile Route
Very nice ! I wish I could get that ! The last century I rode had a little over 4500 ft and that seemed like a lot last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the r4 sdhc vain of the cadence thread I would be curious what your average climb or elevation gain per ride would be? Mine varies on what ride I do. Today I managed to get 1656 ft of climb with a max grade of 11.9 % I'm not sure the 11.9 % percent is very accurate though. I would say general I only manage 500-900 ft but they are good for some intervals. Sport tracks shows todays ride was 92.4 % flat, 4.8 % of the time was ascending and 2.8 % of the time descending.
It aint no Rocky Mountain numbers but i always wounder how this area generally compares to others.

You are great. Greater than me,lol

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
9-11 ride

Feel like I can see improvement. This hill used to own me and struggled to maintain 9-12 mph and the last few rides I have managed anywhere from 14-17 mph. Had it going on today and had a mis shift the hurt me a bit but still a good pull !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Feel like I can see improvement. This hill used to own me and struggled to maintain 9-12 mph and the last few rides I have managed anywhere from 14-17 mph. Had it going on today and had a mis shift the hurt me a bit but still a good pull !

Good job! Wow, I'll take 16 mph up a hill. What's the average grade on that thing?

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good job! Wow, I'll take 16 mph up a hill. What's the average grade on that thing?

I'm not sure of the avg. grade but ridewithgps shows it as 9.4% max grade. It's not very long either...I would guess only a 1/4 mile or so. I used to try and attack a hill, any hill, with as much speed as I could carry into it and the results were always the same. Fast to start and panting out of breath near the peak with little or no speed and needing forever to recover. For me, I have found out of the saddle with as much gear as I can turn ( higher gear -70-80 cadence, less spin for me !) and in the drops with as steady a rhythm as I can maintain. Recovery after the hills is coming much faster now.

It's just a measure for me personally to gauge my improvements !

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anybody got anything to add to this? lil bump :)

·
OTR-MTB and Fitness
85 Posts
Here http://g.co/maps/yspfd is a very small ride I did starting out. Turns out there is a trail on the map that I missed finding because I turned around at an apparent dead end. :( I'm thinking next time I'm in Booneville there will be climbing in and out of the MO river valley. HEehhe heeeha :laughingmeniaclly:
ps: sorry if that's off topic.

·
OTR-MTB and Fitness
85 Posts
I like hills when I can find them. but I'm mostly disappointed. One nice hill was riding up to the Tn Capital. If I ride a city especially on a week end, my goal is to find the highest spot and get there. :)
http://g.co/maps/mrtt6
Here's a fairly typical Midwestern ride an a defunct RR type trail. Those tend to have shallower grades then roadways.
http://g.co/maps/nxnjd the bar graph cut off in the middle where I stopped for eats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts