Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to go for this question, but I do know there are a ton of people that know more than me. I finally made the switch to SPD clipless pedals on my Giant road bike and have made a smooth transition. No troubles yet. So I decided to also put some on my winter commuter. I decided to get the reversible, platform on one side and SPD on the other side so I could always go with regular shoes if I needed too. But on my first ride this morning, my shoe clips the crank on every revolution. I headed home, and adjusted the clips as far inboard as they would go, and still the shoe contact the crank on both sides as I pedal down.
Really annoying. Probably not safe, and will wear a spot on my shoe for sure.
Did I buy cheap pedals that do not extend out far enough?
Are these "winter" shoes too wide for the application?
Anyone ever run into this? Any ideas?
Been over 26, so it's definitely riding weather here in PA.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You probably need to rotate the clips on the shoes. They turn left and right like a dial to an extent as well as slide in and out. I used the SPD campus pedals for the exact same reason and have had no problems.

When you get the alignment right on the commuter, make sure you go back and check the alignment on the road bike. You want to make sure your feet and knees are in line to prevent injury. Most pedals have a least some float in them, but those that don't have much cleats can force your body in a position that it doesn't want to be and sooner or later it protests.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never followed up with this issue...too busy riding. I got a better road shoe and checked the alignment on the clips.
Problem solved and never a problem since.
And to avoid the hassles with transitioning to clips, put them on your exercise bike if you have one. I installed clips on the exercise bike and rode a couple months there, so by the time I had them out on the road I was already accustomed to getting in and out of them.
I'll never go back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts