Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just unearthed my SPD riding shoes that haven't seen the light of day on 8 or 9 years and I'm going to order a set of clipless pedals to go with them. I swore I'd never use any again after falling in the middle or a huge mud puddle, but I've rationalized that road riding requires way less unexpected stopping than mountain biking.

Looking at a set of the Forte Campus Pedals which I can use with or without. Anyone have opinions good or bad on these?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
They look good. I've been thinking of trying the SPD MTB shoes with these type of peddles. I've been told they are better than the road shoes.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I use them and it works for me. I also use mountain bike shoes on my road bike. They are much more comfortable to walk around in after you get where you are going. The soles are not as stiff which means a loss in power transfer, but I'm not racing and its a trade off I am willing to make.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My old Shimano MTB shoes feel great. A little more stiff than the running shoes I've been wearing, but comfortable enough to wear all day. Just ordered the pedals so no turning back now.

Over the weekend I noticed that my feet move around on the platform pedals quite a bit. I know I'll gain some performance out of the new pedals.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
i commute on flats but honestly clipless not only feels more efficient but i also seem to be more stable on the bike. just don't like carrying extra shoes.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
I have been riding clipless on my road bike for years (7) and have been using SPD's. I have never had an issue with them. I now have a pair of Look road pedals sitting around and I am thinking of moving over to them. I do like the idea of the larger platform since I have foot issues. SPD's will do you just fine on a road bike.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been riding clipless since December last year and would never go back. Using SPD on my hybrid and will use SPD on the new road bike too. I purchased the Shimano PD-A530 pedals, they are dual faced for spd and street shoes. In the 5 months never ridden them with my clipless shoes.

I love the feeling of security when pushing hard or when wet out. Will never go back despite a couple of embarrassing falls early on when forgetting to unclip.

Simon

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got some Shimano m324 pedals that I like, and it seems like the Forte Campus pedals get just as good of reviews. I'll be interested to hear how you like them.
Should have them tomorrow so will try them out on my Saturday or Sunday ride and let you guys know what I thought of them.

Back in my Mountain bike days I liked everything about clipless pedals except the occasional inability to unclip in a panic situation. Funny how they unclip just fine from the impact of hitting the ground.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the pedals shipped to the local Performance Bike store and picked them up at lunch today. They look well built. Pleased so far. Will get them installed tonight.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installed the pedals this evening and went for a short ride around the neighborhood. Man, it was like meeting up with an old friend. I forgot how great it feels to have your feet glued to the pedals.

Off to conqueror my first 50 mile ride tomorrow. I know these will help.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Good for you. I cannot imagine ever going back to platform pedals again.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I guess I will never have the joy of rideing with clipless pedals as I wear EEEEE wide shoes, and have never found a rideing shoe over size M. I can't evean find a good rideing shoe for platform pedals. O well

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I guess I will never have the joy of rideing with clipless pedals as I wear EEEEE wide shoes, and have never found a rideing shoe over size M. I can't evean find a good rideing shoe for platform pedals. O well

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
There are many companies that offer custom riding shoes at prices competitive to most high end cycling shoes.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I did not know this, Thanks. I will check and see if I can find something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts