Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get my first pair of clipless pedals. My LBS insist i should get the Speedplay Zero for $130. Another LBS suggests i will be fine with the Shimano 105 or Look Keo Classic for $80.

Which pedals do you use/recommend?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I use SPD's, but that is just me. This to me is a bit like picking the right seat. No one seat works for every backside. One thing you could try is to see if they would put them on a bike in a trainer for you. Take your shoes and let them put the cleats on the shoes and try getting in and out of them on the trainer. Taking your bike will be even better. While you are on the trainer without worrying about falling over, you can see what feels natural for you to get them to clip and unclip. Then get what you like. Do you already have the cycling shoes you are going to use? They all work together.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I have never used Speedplay but I have always been afraid of spinning lolipops. I felt I would get/find hot spots from them. Don't understand why they would insist on one or another type pedal for you...What shop is doing that, Fat Frogs?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to get a pair of road cycling shoes too. Again, I have no idea how to pick those out. I was just going to try some on and get whatever fit the best.
As far as some pedals are concerned, I heard the Keo cleats wear out quicker compared to the Shimano ones and the Speedplay require a lot of maintenance. Is that true?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rola643 said:
I have never used Speedplay but I have always been afraid of spinning lolipops. I felt I would get/find hot spots from them. Don't understand why they would insist on one or another type pedal for you...What shop is doing that, Fat Frogs?
Its conte's Virginia beach that highly recommended the speedplay.
Which pedals do you use?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been using SPD's for probably half the time I've been riding (whoopiee 300 miles or so) But in that time I've come to like them, really simple to use and adjust. As far as shoes go, if your LBS has a big selection, just try em on and see what you like. Even if they have a small selection, just try them on and find one you like.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I need to get a pair of road cycling shoes too. Again, I have no idea how to pick those out. I was just going to try some on and get whatever fit the best.
As far as some pedals are concerned, I heard the Keo cleats wear out quicker compared to the Shimano ones and the Speedplay require a lot of maintenance. Is that true?
As far as shoes go, you are right, the ones that fit best are the ones for you and if you trust your LBS I am sure that they will sell you something of quality. There are so many different manufactures and I have owned so many different brands all of which have been good enough. Speedplay pedals are of course one of the lightest options and amongst the easiest to get into and out of. The only extra maintenance that they require is the little spring clip in the cleat that holds them on needs to be regularly lubed with a dry lube like "White Lightening". If you don't and if one of or both of your feet float when you ride the spring will break prematurely. Check with your shop to see if they can order just the springs (I know that you can buy a rebuild kit) because one of the advantages of Speedplay is that this really is the only part of the cleat that needs to be replaced with any frequency. No you do not get hot spots with Speedplay, the design being that the cleat is actually part of the pedal so they offer just as big a platform as other pedals do. The big drawback is that the cleats are big and slippery, therefore they are harder to walk in. That being said, any of the pedal systems you are looking at are fine, so if you have to decide with your wallet don't worry about it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Its conte's Virginia beach that highly recommended the speedplay.
Which pedals do you use?
Contes up here in Williamsburg didn't last long. I did buy a road bike from them.

I use Ultegra with SIDI shoes for the road and Crank Bros and Specilaized something or other( can't remember right no) MTB shoes.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
That being said, any of the pedal systems you are looking at are fine, so if you have to decide with your wallet don't worry about it.
The wallet is a cruel dictator:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
speed play

don't have alot to say,but been using speed play for 3 years,about12000 miles and just love them.im pretty new to road biking but found if you start with high end,it will save you money.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Even if you ride roads, a mountain bike shoe for many is often preferred unless you are racing. The road shoe is so stiff and often has no other thing on the bottom to grip, they are often difficult to walk in. Some will say bike shoes are for riding, but at some point I want to get off for coffee and don't want to end up on my backside. Two types I am considering in a future shoe upgrade. There is a sneaker type shoe that many say is extremely comfortable and more for touring. They also have laces which always seem to end up in my chain ring. I just switch the laces in my shoes to those elastic type that runners use. That should work, but will not know for sure till I use them a while. The other is shoes that clip that have no laces. That is my other choice, and really both would work. Mountain bike shoes though give you some ability to walk around, and still keeps a stiff sole for power transfer, but you need to try them to know for sure

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure if you've heard of altrec.com but they have awesome deals on clothing and gear for just about any outdoor activity... plus, shipping is free if the purchase is over $48!! Anyways, I came across some Keen biking shoes that looked intriguing. I think Keens are super comfy for everyday shoes so I would assume they make a decent bike shoe. It does say they're made for mtb though, but I feel like you could probably use them on your road bike too. One downfall is that you can't try them on, but maybe you'll come across them at your LBS :) here's the link if you're interested....
http://www.altrec.com/keen/mens-springwater-bike-shoe

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not sure if you've heard of altrec.com but they have awesome deals on clothing and gear for just about any outdoor activity... plus, shipping is free if the purchase is over $48!!... One downfall is that you can't try them on, but maybe you'll come across them at your LBS :) here's the link if you're interested....
http://www.altrec.com/keen/mens-springwater-bike-shoe
I really, really hope that you aren't recommending that people size their shoes at their LBS and then buy them online... cuz there's a special place in hell for people who do that.

OP: What you need will depend on you. Me, I can't stand SPD (small cleat) pedals. I'm heavy and I have huge feet. I need the biggest cleat possible. I ride both Shimano Ultegra SPD-SLs and TIME iClic Carbons.

If you're a normal human, I'd recommend the Shimano 105 pedals or LOOK Keos of some sort.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really, really hope that you aren't recommending that people size their shoes at their LBS and then buy them online... cuz there's a special place in hell for people who do that.

OP: What you need will depend on you. Me, I can't stand SPD (small cleat) pedals. I'm heavy and I have huge feet. I need the biggest cleat possible. I ride both Shimano Ultegra SPD-SLs and TIME iClic Carbons.

If you're a normal human, I'd recommend the Shimano 105 pedals or LOOK Keos of some sort.

I am not recommending that whatsoever. Perhaps I worded that a little wrong. I was suggesting that he check his LBS for those shoes and PURCHASE them at the LBS as well. I am 100% for supporting local businesses! I just happened to come across the Keen bike shoes on that website and thought they might be comfortable since I find their regular shoes very comfortable.

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
I have used Look Classic and Keo(hate), Campagnolo and am currently using Speedplay for the last 3 years. I loved my Look Classic pedals and at the suggestion of my LBS bought the new Look Keos. I hated them from day one and they lasted about a month on my bike. I then tried the Speedplay Light action pedals and fell in love. Positive attachment on either side of the pedal. The cleat allows for a large weight bearing area once the foot is engaged to the pedal. Engagement is easy and exit is even easier. I now have these on all 3 of my road bikes and have had no issues with them in the 3 years i have owned them.

My wife on the other hand prefers to use SPD because she can get a shoe that allows her to walk normally when we stop. This is important to her! I have tried to get her to try other pedals and true road shoes. She refuses and I have learned to stop asking. In the end I suggest you try several different types of pedals. I am sure your local bike shop will allow you to do this. You may have to purchase the cleats for your shoes though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Duende54 said:
I have used Look Classic and Keo(hate), Campagnolo and am currently using Speedplay for the last 3 years. I loved my Look Classic pedals and at the suggestion of my LBS bought the new Look Keos. I hated them from day one and they lasted about a month on my bike. I then tried the Speedplay Light action pedals and fell in love. Positive attachment on either side of the pedal. The cleat allows for a large weight bearing area once the foot is engaged to the pedal. Engagement is easy and exit is even easier. I now have these on all 3 of my road bikes and have had no issues with them in the 3 years i have owned them.

My wife on the other hand prefers to use SPD because she can get a shoe that allows her to walk normally when we stop. This is important to her! I have tried to get her to try other pedals and true road shoes. She refuses and I have learned to stop asking. In the end I suggest you try several different types of pedals. I am sure your local bike shop will allow you to do this. You may have to purchase the cleats for your shoes though.
What is the difference between the speedplay light action and zero pedals? The LBS suggested the zero for me and the light action for my gf.

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
What is the difference between the speedplay light action and zero pedals? The LBS suggested the zero for me and the light action for my gf.

The Zero pedals have adjustable spring tension at the cleat that allows you to adjust the amount of tension for click in and release. They also have adjustable float as well. The light action have a fixed amount of tension that allow for easy in and easy out. The also have a fixed amount of float. I have never had a problem with the Light Actions and they are significantly cheaper than the Zeros.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My riding buddy insisted on SPD's because he wanted to walk normally. Cleat is recessed so the shoe soles are flat.

I was primarily concerned with having the widest platform available to avoid hot spots so I went with SPD-SL. I never considered anything else.

Speedplay probably has a slim market share margin over SPD-SL and SPD is slightly lower so there are 3 major pedal systems that have their advantages and disadvantages.

As far as shoes, find a store that carries several brands. Try the models on back to back using the following methodolgy. Put the shoes on, stand up, and lift your heels slightly off the ground and hold. Hold until something starts to hurt. Try to adjust them to see if the hurt goes away. Keep trying on shoes until you find a pair that does not hurt. You will probably find a very good fitting pair of shoes this way. Shoes are built on specific lasts and your feet will not fit some. If you can wait until Spring, large stores have Spring sales and shoe manufacture representatives are usually there that are experts and can advise you on fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run SPD's (specifically Shimano PD-M520) on my road bike. The key for me was to get the right shoes for them.

I'm a big guy, and my first cycling shoes for these were a pair entry level Lakes, that were really not appropriate for me, and we're 2nd (maybe 3rd hand!) off eBay. I was initially putting more weight on my feet that I do now, as I was also sorting out my saddle, and rides became a contest in what I could make hurt less.

Once I sorted out the saddle, I found I was still having foot pain, and ended up replacing the Lakes with a pair of top of the line carbon soled Bontrager MTB shoes. Best $200 bucks I ever spent. What a difference having a sole that didn't flex made! They are not the grippiest soles for walking off the bike, but they are walkable, and I no longer have issues with my feet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts