Clipless pedals

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Sean, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

What do you prefer?

I like Look, I have one pair that is 15 yrs old, and still rolling. Only one issue I have ever had with them is they sometimes squeak when they need to be cleaned.

I have also tried speedplay, but did not like them, too much float. In addition, the spring wears out in the cleat. I do not know if you can buy just the spring, I have not found it. The cleat is quite expensive to replace. My wife loves them. She has more foot movement when she rides, my foot tends to be pretty straight.

I rode Time a time or two; ) and they are similar to Look, but with more moving parts, and more expensive.

would like to try Eggbeaters on my mountain bike, anyone have them? Care to review?

2. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I have eggbeaters on 3 bikes... The mountain, road, and fixie. They are wonderful on the mountain bike because of the big loops to hook into so you don't have trouble with too much mud clogging up the cleat. They work fair on the road bikes but they have quite a bit of float. I'm looking for something different for road because I'm starting to do a lot more rides at longer miles and the constant float and movement gets rather old on a longer trip. The good part is I only have to have one pair of shoes to use with all 3 bikes.

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I like my speedplays, the only gripe I have is that the cleat likes to fill up with mud if you happen to step on some soggy ground and once that happens they are near impossible to clip in or out of. I love all the float since I did something bad to my knee a few years ago.

I have just some basic spd pedals on my mountain bike, they aren't fancy but they do the job and are tough as hell

4. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

I'm running Time RXS Ulteam Carbon Ti pedals.

... yes, I was drunk when I ordered them.

... but, on the whole I've been pretty happy, the cleats are pretty walkable (although a bit fragile), they're a bit finicky to clip in, but they're easy enough to get out of and perfectly solid once you're in.

The earlier models had a very weak pedal body, but as long as you get one of the new sets, you're golden, I'm a serious Clydesdale and have yet to have any problems.

I've heard good things about Speedplay pedals and if I wasn't happy with these, I'd probably try those, the double sided entry is a big plus.

5. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

HAHAHAHA! That's my worst drunken behavior... That and eating. lol.

6. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

I was using Spd's until a couple of weeks ago. I wanted shoes I could walk in if I had to. I'm now using Look Keo. What a difference it makes, it was well worth the cost of the pedals and the new shoes.

7. bohunker

bohunker Guest

I've been running Nashbar knock off Look pedals. They work great for me.

8. madal

madal New Member

Eggbeaters are worth every penny for mountain bikes but have to agree with them being "floaty" :)

9. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Float is a good thing on mtn bike pedals.

10. bohunker

bohunker Guest

Nashbar knock off Look pedals here as well. I have used them for three years and they work great.

11. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Have look pedals for twenty years now and have never been let down with them.

12. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Since I'm new to road cycling and clipless pedals it seems like I might not have made the right choice here. I use Speedplay FROG pedals. the reason why I choose these is, I wanted a walkable shoe, I wanted float (I want to benifit from cycling, not hurt my knees) and I wanted a clip that's easy to get out of. I have to say I'm very happy with the FROGS. How much more efficient can a clip be? Do you gain that much more in the riding experiance by sacrificing a walkable shoe. I still can't understand what these ratchet shoes are all about. I can see if your in competition or something, but for the recreational rider, why do anything that might hurt your knees?

I still have a lot to learn, I'm sure, but some things I just dont get.

13. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

LOOK KéO Carbon! After years of enduring the horrible LOOK delta squeak (which you mention) I switched to the KéOs. They were great for 1 1/2 season and then my bike tipped over, landed on the pedal and since then there has been a click which I believe is coming from the pedal. Otherwise I love them. Only the Carbon and the Ti model have 3 bearings, the Classic and the Sprint have only 2, something to consider. I'd buy again (and probably will be doing so soon).

14. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

SPD's.

I've got a pair of M545's that are over a decade old and still going strong. Adjustable tension makes them versatile for road/mountain/fixed/whatever.