Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride my Hybrid Bike with platform pedals and wear running shoes.
Some folks have been trying to encourage me to switch to Clipless Pedals, however, I'm a bit hesitant to do so. I can just imagine coming to a sudden stop on the road and falling over on my bike, like a Benny Hill comedy skit, because I couldn't get my foot off the pedal in time. I also had a near incident last week when my shoelace got wrapped up in my pedal while I was riding. I had tucked the laces in, but they came out during the ride. Can anyone suggest a quality laceless running shoe?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,568 Posts
I'm not a fan of clipping into a bike. I don't race so i really do not have a need for it. I like being able to move and reposition my feet. A good metal peddle with toe clips is all I need. Getting a shoelace caught is a fluke. It should rarely ever happen and i would think having to buy special shoes for biking would be silly.

·
Jay
35 Posts
I like the dual sided pedals also, my '99 Trek 7700 hybrid came with them. I've found that clipless pedals are great for that extra power I need in a headwind, climbing hills and dropping that Huffy that thinks he can draft. And you can use the platform side to run down to the corner w/o lacing up. Best of both worlds if you're not concerned about weight.

Edit- When I first started clipping in I came to a stop sign and smiled at this pretty woman in a convertable, forgot about the pedals and fell over just like Arte Johnson on Laugh-In.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I rode 4330+ miles last year no clipless pedals for me I don't evean use toe clips. I like to be able to move my feet around a little and not be cliped in if I have to abandon my ride. It might be a little faster with clipless but at 66 I have a lot of time to enjoy the ride.
My .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts