Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fascinated by this topic on James Wilson's MTB training site. He's a firm believer in flats, and has some science to back it up.

However, its hard to discern a couple of things:
1) Are his arguments based on power output or developing movement dysfunctions?
2) It appears he's under the assumption that everyone has dysfunctional movements and they shouldn't use clipless because they will worsen. But, there isn't any research that I can tell that shows if this is an issue for people with proper posterior chain (back half the body musculature) firing.

At any rate, take a look, and let me know what you think:
http://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-science-behind-barefoot-pedaling/#comment-8166

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I can see it. It's funny tho, I rode someones flat pedal MTB not to long ago and had one helluva time keeping my feet on the pedals, Lazy feet? At this point in my riding career it would feel funny not to be able to pull up when you are really digging and getn' up that climb :D

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
The only dysfunction in my life comes from my in-laws. . .

Darn. . .

Sorry, wrong forum. . .

However, my MTB does not have clipless and my friend's does, we're about evenly matched for riding ability and I will say, I find it MUCH harder to keep up with him on tough climbs when riding flat pedals. Not being able to pull up I feel is a great disadvantage. . . .

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't see how not being able to pull up, particularly out of the saddle, is good. I think he's trying to be different for differences sake.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
My wife is a firm believer in flats also. When she was younger she loved her pumps.:)

I like being locked into my pedals. I use 9 degree float cleats and have no problems. I dont pull up or wipe on the bottom of my pedal strokes I find that I am efficient enough just grinding through smoothly.

Wacking your shin on your pedal is the most painful thing short of crashing that can happen on a bike. I have never slipped off using clipless.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
At this point in my riding career it would feel funny not to be able to pull up when you are really digging and getn' up that climb :D
You may want to rethink this method of climbing. Last week you posted about not being a good climber. IMO this is an area you can improve.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
You may want to rethink this method of climbing. Last week you posted about not being a good climber. IMO this is an area you can improve.
Tis true! I'm a wookie with lots to learn. I'm always open to suggestions to help improve my riding. The irony is that I actually do fairly well on MTB rides and climbs. It's the longer hills on the road where I'm trying to carry a lot of speed that I have much more trouble with.

The cheap Candy pedals ( on my MTB ) I have don't actually allow me to pull up. The spring tension is so low it's actually hard to stay clipped in sometimes, but I try.

I think they say on that side of the pedal stroke is where you loose a lot of power as you are just pulling that leg through and if you can strengthen hamstrings (less pedaling in squares) you can smooth your stroke out and lessen the lose if I understand what I read.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Tis true! I'm a wookie with lots to learn. I'm always open to suggestions to help improve my riding. The irony is that I actually do fairly well on MTB rides and climbs. It's the longer hills on the road where I'm trying to carry a lot of speed that I have much more trouble with.

The cheap Candy pedals ( on my MTB ) I have don't actually allow me to pull up. The spring tension is so low it's actually hard to stay clipped in sometimes, but I try.

I think they say on that side of the pedal stroke is where you loose a lot of power as you are just pulling that leg through and if you can strengthen hamstrings (less pedaling in squares) you can smooth your stroke out and lessen the lose if I understand what I read.
I wont ever debate using more muscle groups. The more you use the better your fitness level will become. Now if you are ever out hiking and get your leg caught in a bear trap I will bet you can pull it out. :D

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I dont know. I felt a difference when I moved to clipless. My legs seemed to go longer farther and recover a little faster. You can do things with pedal momentum that seem to be impossible or at least difficult on platforms. Needless to say for road biking I could not go back. Also, I can mash/sprint pretty hard with clipless.

I can see how if you pulled up you may burn more calories faster by using more muscles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts