Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Looking for a little bit of opinion and advice here. I'm planning on finally getting off my butt and enjoying some of the mountain trails here in Utah. I've got a nice bike, but I am looking for some feedback on what to do in the pedal category. Previously, I've used Power Grips before, and absolutely loved them. I really am not excited about traditional style clips, nor am I excited about clipless pedals. I don't plan on doing world record technical riding, or anything like that, and I plan on still riding the bike around town.

I don't really know about the clipless pedals, because I don't like having to wear dedicated shoes around if you decide to stop for some lunch or a beer after your ride, and I also want to keep the price under control. I just want to make sure that I'm at least partially on the right track with the Power Grips.

So how about it guys? Is anyone out there familiar with Power Grips? Do you guys think these will be good enough to give me the benefit that clips give you, but will still be easy to manage? I like the extra power I get from clips, but I also like not having my foot slip off the pedal and having the thing spin around and chew up my calf... That's always a lot of fun... :eek:

·
hardtail hardass
45 Posts
I've never been a fan of rat traps or power straps. I find it annoying to have to flip the pedal everytime you want them, and I've slipped out of rat traps a couple of time while trail riding. I would suggest a cheap pair of SPD pedals and some shoes that are for mixed use....something with a chunky sole, and a casual style so you can wear 'em to the bar or the grocery store without having to bring a second pair of shoes. If you like, there are flat adapters that some bike shops us for demo-ing bikes with clips. I've seen a couple of folks using these when they don't want to use their clips for a short in-town ride. I put a little over 2 years of use (including daily commuting) on an old pair of wellgo pedals that were just about the cheapest spd option when I got them, and they held up great. Combine that with a cheap mtb or casual style shoe that has good drip and you'll be set.

·
16 Posts
I've always been a fan of bring what makes you happy . And have been schooled far to many times in my decades of riding by folks on lesser equipment .Also resisted moving away from my old Bear Trap's myself. The attributes of clipless peddles far out way peddle straps . One is that they are lighter , Smaller profile "so you wont clip rocks and roots"as much , much easier to get in and out of , and the soles of cycling shoe's are stiffer and offer a much better platform to stand on . Trade off is that i throw a pair of socks and shoes in the car .And the bike shoes today are designed so nicely that i truly dont care if i wear them regardless of how many stops i make . This is just information and has no emotional attachment . Because as a local ride leader in my area , I always tell everyone who joins in my rides to bring what you have, leave the ego at home . lets ride the wheels off of it .

·
Shore Rat
383 Posts
After trying all and I mean all the alternatives I quite honestly found the shimano SPD pedals do the best job as far as power transfer staying in place over rougher terrain and just over all riding comfort,I found the learning curve on them to be quite short and getting in and out becomes second nature very quickly.A wide selection of shoe are available even some models that are easy to walk around in at the bar after a ride.Good luck deciding and enjoy the ride.

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
I prefere my Forte' platforms...not a clip-in guy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my spd pedals...I couldn't ride trails without being clipped in. Just make sure they are loose enough to clip out quickly. Probably be upgrading this year to "egg beaters".

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back when I mountain biked I used the power straps and found them to be excellent I had all the control I needed and they where easy to enter and exit. I am glad to hear they are still in use. I think that there are double sided pedals that are platform on one side and clipped on the other.

·
16 Posts
I've ridden on all them at some point . I love Times but to rich for my blood , Been on Egg Beaters now for several years and love them . Secure and stable and very easy to get ot of . Only down fall is that they are very sensitive to being clipped against rocks ,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I rode spd for over twelve years. Loved em but got jammed in and could not unlock just one time, after pulling a few pea sized stones out from under my skin and a few stitches I tried some platforms and 5.10 karvers, fell in love the first time out. Still use the spd on the road and concrete trails, but not in the woods anymore.

·
889 Posts
+1 for SPD pedals. I have them on my MTB and although I wear a dedicated shoe for the system, I can still dismount and walk around with the shoes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the Eggbeaters. I have the Candy's (basically the same) and I love them. I couldn't even begin to count how many rocks I've smashed them on. My only beef with them is that the bearings toasted fairly quickly. If you're really that concerned about not wanting to wear clipless shoes around after a ride, most of them have velcro straps so they go on/off quicker than regular shoes. As some have said, there are also more casual-style shoes out there from companies like FiveTen, SixSixOne, etc. You may just sound like a tap dancer. Clipless pedals, whichever ones you choose, have been a godsend for me. Makes climbing and technical areas soo much better.

·
OTR-MTB and Fitness
85 Posts
Still haven't gone in with the cleats, but I think I found some slack in my technic today when I got my head out and realized that the back leg doesn't need to be dead weight for the front leg to lift on the down stroke. (dah)
I plan on shopping for pedals tomorrow, still so confused. lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the shimano spd pedals that have the big bodies so they kind of look like platforms. I came from the BMX world so I'm not too big on tiny little pedals. These days you can get any type of shoe you want, if I'm not planning on doing anything after riding I have a pair of shimano shoes I can wear, but if I do I have a pair of vans, that other than the clicking sound when you step no one would ever know they were not regular shoes. I must also say that my shimano dx platforms are awesome as well, and to me it makes riding more fun to not be clipped in, it makes the hills tougher but also I feel more confident if I can throw a foot out when I need to!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Curious to see what I do about pedals on my soon to be new mountain bike. Last year when I got back into riding I resisted clipless pedals on my road bike because of all the fun (not) I had years ago with my MTB when I tried clipless pedals. I finally gave in and put a set of spd's on my road bike and have never looked back, love um. At least on the road you usually have a little advance warning for when you need to un-clip. Out on the trails, not so much.

Probably for the first time or two out I'll stick with platforms until I get my comfort level back up on a mountain bike. Only time will tell, but I imagine I'll have a set of spd's installed before long.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
I've ridden with PowerGrips before, about a decade ago; they were and ARE a good tool for the learning curve into clipless, BTW.... BUT, while using them, I had the crash that gave me my first broken bone from the bike, L wrist.

I use Time ATAC Aliums now, and will NEVER go back!

I've ridden on all them at some point . I love Times but to rich for my blood , Been on Egg Beaters now for several years and love them . Secure and stable and very easy to get ot of . Only down fall is that they are very sensitive to being clipped against rocks ,
ATAC Aliums are about $60/pair; too rich for your blood? Oh, wait -- EggBeaters, you must NEED lightweight stuff, huh? Aliums do have a bit of heft, it's irrelevant to me.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brent said:
After trying all and I mean all the alternatives I quite honestly found the shimano SPD pedals do the best job as far as power transfer staying in place over rougher terrain and just over all riding comfort,I found the learning curve on them to be quite short and getting in and out becomes second nature very quickly.A wide selection of shoe are available even some models that are easy to walk around in at the bar after a ride.Good luck deciding and enjoy the ride.
I have to agree. I have been using the SPD pedals for a couple of years now on my XC bike and love them. I did upgrade my clips to a multi directional set which allows you to unclip at a moments notice from any direction. I still use flats on my DH bike with 5 Ten shoes. Good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
I enjoy my Shimano Spd pedals, I had them on my road bike until I change to LOOKS which is going to take a little getting used too. Since I got a mountain bike I'll be putting my Shimano Spd pedals on them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts