Close calls

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by rola643, Aug 2, 2020.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I was sure I had created a thread for this before..but can you believe I can't find it now if I did ? Postm' if ya gotm' I have entire library and over time started deleting them I had so many.

Yesterday's Dbaggery :D
    When you can't even get a wheel on the yellow line. This one pissed me off as he came back across my front. I ride with both front and back cameras so it's easy to see, I've gotten ( somewhat) used to it but this one was to close and the fact he came back in front of me really pissed me off.

I'm always amazed that what felt like they guy was right on me, in the pics always seems to look like a legit pass :)
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.44.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.45.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.45.18 PM.png

Road Runner, MilesR and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  2. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Member

Wow.....nice camera setup for sure. I had a close call some weeks back on a long straight away with nothing coming in the opposite direction and some Jackwagon in a new Suburban SUV gave me like two feet as it went by me at 65 mph at least. They obviously did it on purpose but I maintained my line and cadence.

There are idiots in this world that hate everything except “their” world.

Not trying to get all religious but I pray before I ride out and along the way for the good Lord to continue to protect me on my riding venture. Then at the end when I stop and gain my legs, I thank Him for seeing me through.

3. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Temp tags on a new Bimmer...
    I'm not saying that you should see to whom that tag belongs and dump a 2 liter bottle of coke on the car.

4. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

There used to be a Close Call website to report vehicles like this. I believe THEY, in turn, report to the authorities. It went down for a while and i lost track of the site name.
    Does anyone here know about it?

5. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

Dos_Ruedas and kneedrachen like this.
  6. lectrichead

50 mile ride yesterday and a total of six douchebags who either passed too close or did something stupid enough that could have gotten me killed, including:

When I was going through a busy village this guy in a pickup carefully looked down the street to the left, carefully to the right, then left again, then right again and stomped on the gas - the only problem is he hadn't looked ahead/close by which is where I was. I could almost read his mind as I watched him and was ready with lots of arm waiting and yelling, and evasive maneuvers in mind but he saw me.

On a highway which doesn't have much in the way of shoulder (a few inches) I was riding along the white line and a loaded (spinning drum) cement mixer truck tries to slide between me and the car coming in the other lane - no room. I edged along the inches of black top shoulder, considering if I would go over if I quickly dropped off the raised shoulder onto the grass, but the car in the other lane came to almost a stop right before the passing truck.

And the craziest - I had just finished a hill climb that's a popular segment, which is the end of a long street in a village along the St. Lawrence. The end of the street connects to a minor highway via a "y" in the road - the highway continues straight into the village and becomes a street and the street I was on connects to it at an angle. As I am stopped at the stop sign drinking some water a Spectrum cable pickup turns onto the corner at about full speed. My guess is that this is something he does all of the time after checking to see if a car is on the corner and probably takes a wide high speed turn through that angled corner - except I was there this time. Or maybe he just miscalculated the corner.

I hear his anti-lock brakes chirping his tires as the inertia of the truck sliding sideways against the turned front wheels override the pulsing of the brakes and he slides toward me.

Many times I have some idea of an evasive maneuver/jump-in-the-ditch/etc idea in those situations when I can but I didn't really have much time or anywhere to go. Fortunately his tires caught as he got close to me and he slipped by. I looked back and he slowed to almost a stop - not sure if he was going to apologize, yell at me for just being alive and in his way, or if he crapped his pants. Close one.

Road Runner and rola643 like this.
  7. rola643

^^^Wow.... stay safe my friend.

lectrichead likes this.
  8. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

My close call for this year happened on the MS150 back in March. First day of the ride, heading back to the hotel (start and ending point), I was stopped in a left hand turn lane waiting for the light to change. There was a car at the light, three other cyclist, a car in front of me and several cars behind me. The light changed and everyone took off. I'm heading for the bike lane when the car behind me comes around on my right cutting me off from the bike lane and forcing me toward the inside lane where there was another car. Then she almost hits the three other cyclist that were already in the bike lane when she tried to get fully into the lane.

This one didn't get away. I don't know if she saw him or not but at the corner was a motorcycle cop, hired by MS, that was there to stop traffic when a large group of riders were coming through the intersection. Yep! He saw her almost hit me, chased her and pulled her little butt over. I waved as I passed by. I'm assuming he cited her for several moving violations because she didn't pass me for quite some time. Karma was served that day.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

On just about every one of my rides (city streets), it always seems there are at least one or two episodes of someone passing me a lot closer than is necessary. In lots of traffic, it may be unavoidable, but if they do it when it is just the two of us on the road, I assume they are trying to "teach" me a lesson. Just what that lesson is, is beyond me. angry.png

OTOH, most drivers on my rides are extremely courteous and go out of their way to look out for me. They have even stopped to help me on numerous occasions. I love those people!

John_V and MilesR like this.
  10. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Member

Every so often there is cop to serve up a dose of hard to swallow medicine. That’s awesome.

John_V likes this.
  11. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Member

I find this for the most part too.

John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  12. lectrichead

We just had a cyclist hurt quite badly after slamming into a FedEx truck from the rear, but I am supposing it was the cyclist's fault in this case. No specifics though, which was weird. Had to be airlifted.

John_V and rola643 like this.
  13. rola643

That's not good. FedEx is BY FAR the worst on the road at least around here. I gnawed on one's ass just last week for ripping down or lane that is 15 mph and if he wasn't doing 50 I'd sh!t you a wooden nickel.

John_V likes this.
  14. lectrichead

I just rechecked the story - I was wrong; it was actually UPS. We haven't been able to get any more info about it.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and rola643 like this.
  15. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

I had a very close call on my Sunday ride. I was fighting the wind down in the drops with my head down and I didn't see a car backing out of its driveway. Another car was parked in the street between us which obscured our view of each other. Luckily, we both saw each other at the very last millisecond and we managed to avoid an ambulance ride for me to the local trauma hospital. Another split second and the car would have backed over me or I would have slammed head-on into the side of the car.

That's the closest I have been to crashing in the last 6 years. I was very lucky. Watching for moving vehicles is a lot more important than trying to keep your speed up.

Dos_Ruedas, MilesR and rola643 like this.
  16. Dos_Ruedas

A wooden nickel you say‽

MilesR likes this.
  17. Dos_Ruedas

FedX terrible around here as well (in more ways than one). So bad, in fact, that we’ll order from a different company just to change delivery service.
    I was hoping I’d catch them speeding on one of their visits, but it seems I’m always riding a desk when they’re in my jurisdiction.

I hope the rider fully recovers.

rola643 and John_V like this.
  18. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

dontknow.gif

19. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

I would use tongs to pick it up.