Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear some stories about close calls you've had!

Today I had a squirrel try to commit suicide in my front wheel at 20 mph.

One on of my first rides I had a pedal strike do hard that my back wheel came off of the ground and about threw me over the other side!

Who's got some Exciting stories?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Footoflead07 said:
Let's hear some stories about close calls you've had!

Today I had a squirrel try to commit suicide in my front wheel at 20 mph.

One on of my first rides I had a pedal strike do hard that my back wheel came off of the ground and about threw me over the other side!

Who's got some Exciting stories?
Squirrels are the villains in most of my close calls with 1 going between my wheels at 20 mph last spring. However, my biggest close call had a very large dog playing the bad guy and chasing me across the road and into the ditch line of the opposite side of the road, narrowly missing a road sign. I never pass by that house now without my water bottle in my hand. :)

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Todays close call was bombing down a hill and realizing as i exited the bend that the park service had graded the trail which made it unstable just before i entered a hairy switchback at speed. Lost traction in both tires and would have eaten dirt if my acrobatic contortions hadn't allowed me to gain purchase again.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Had one Saturday. We were riding with a group of about 25 people moving along about 25 mph during a century ride when the lead started yelling stop, slow down and bikes went scattering everywhere. The guy to my right, who happened to be my daily ride friend, was forced into a shallow ditch. No crashes, no bikes down, no man down situation luckily. He might have a front wheel out of true now :D Mostly due to some poor marking for the route.

As a matter of fact we were riding with these guys - The Charlottesville Bicycle Club and after that we kinda broke away from them and had a nice Trio, Me, Andy and Bill from the Charlottesville Bicycle Club ended up finishing the century together

·
Registered
90 Posts
Put on my clip less for the first time this weekend, riding around my girl friends drive way. Got comfortable, started pedaling hard onto the pavement front tire lifted and kept going. Really could have been a great wheelie, but I panicked and flipped backwards, the fact I was just driving around my driveway didn't have my helmet on( stupid i know) Luckily I was also testing the new camelback I got and it slid up and saved my head from bouncing off the blacktop! Sore back, ass and neck but the heads good!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
This past Saturday, I was given the choice of dumping my bike or getting hit by a car going the wrong way in the parking lot of a very popular MUP that I regularly ride at. I was able to unclip in time but didn't get the foot down fast enough to dismount. Ended up with a three hour visit to the local ER and a contused right shoulder and upper arm. They originally thought it was dislocated, but the radiologist called me yesterday and gave me the good news. A contusion heals faster than a dislocation, so I'll be back in the saddle a lot sooner. Three days without a ride and I'm already in withdrawals. OBTW, no damage to the bike other than some scraped up bar tape. A more thorough inspection will be made when I can get my arm out of this sling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts