Clothing with SPF

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Xela, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I have seen a lot of cycling and outdoor clothing that is advertising SPF built in. What are the major benefits of this? Are that certain UVA/UVB rays that penetrate clothing. Is this just some new marketing campaign to play on our fears of cancer?

2. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Judging from my tan lines regular jerseys and shorts are the greatest barrier to UV light that mankind has ever invented.

3. tool

tool Guest

I think certain types of fabric depending on the light test (how well you can see through it) will let various wavelengths of light in or out through it more and can possibly be adjusted in a predictable way to be light weight fabric yet also have a certain texture to block light in measurable amounts

4. JohnJamis

JohnJamis Guest

Is there a specific brand you are looking at, Xela?

5. Doomy

Doomy Guest

If you're worried about cancer, make sure the back of your kneck is covered, I don't think most clothing covers that part.....

It seems like it would be the most exposed to the sun out of anything on a person's body.... even with longsleeves..... unless you've got long hair :)

6. Xela

7. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Way ahead of you.

[​IMG]

:D

8. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

There are numerous fabrics out there that you can get a sun burn through. Some of the finer lighter weaves, a white t-shirt can be bad if you sweat or get it wet. The problem is that in order to make a shirt comfortable for use outside in the summer they are thin. usually one layer and not tightly woven (lower thread count) and sun can get through them. Like tool said companies are designing clothes to be thin but block sunlight.

One of the worst burns I got was while wearing a white t-shirt and working out in the sun. I was sweating but also poured water over my head and neck getting the shirt wet. I was burned from the bottom of my hairline to the top of my jeans.

9. Xela

Thanks, Grape Ape! Makes a lot more sense now. I've never had an issue with any of the jerseys I have worn, but I can see how what you are saying can happen.

10. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Do they use a chemical to make it SPF rated?

I thought I read some report awhile back that sunscreen is showing to increase cancer risks. Maybe it was a dream though.

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

No they just tighten it up and offset the layers to block sun. It is then placed over a sensor and uv lights are shined on it to determine it's ability to block the UV rays.

As for sunscreens causing cancer. That isn't quite correct. The problem lies in the use or improper use of sunscreen. Many people put a light layer of sunscreen on and do not reapply. They then go out in the sun for a lot longer than they should. The light layer and single application soon wear off and the person is now at risk. Proper application means heavy layer applied liberally and reapplied very often.

12. dmckham

dmckham New Member

Coppertone sport seems to work best for me when riding or diving. I wear contacts and it doesn't go into my eyes! Bullfrog however, works great but "eats" contact lens if it gets in your eyes!

Dmckham

13. Xela

Thanks for the heads-up about the Bullfrog from a contacts wearer who had no idea!