Clueless newbie... help?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Javaslinger, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Javaslinger

Javaslinger New Member

Looking to get a bike to do rail trails and road biking... my LBS have Raleigh, Trek, Cannondale, and Janis in the area...

It's been pouring all week so I haven't been able to test drive a things, but I've been soaking up the reviews...

I'm looking to spend $750 to $1000... I guess I'm presently most interested int the Trek DS series, the Quick CX series, and the Janis Coda series? I'm intrigued by the 'steel frame' mania some seem to have...

My main concern is that these are too far towards 'mountain bikes' and I won't really enjoy road biking on them...

I'm a beginner cyclist and heavy... 220lbs 5' 7"... Hoping to do fitness biking/commuting as well.

Any advice?

Javasligner

2. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling Active Member

If your only off-pavement riding will be rail trails, I wouldn't worry too much about off-road ability. Seems like you might be fine with a "regular" (not CX) Quick.

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I realy like my Jamis Aurora Elite the steel frame and fork + the 700x32 tires make for a realy good ride. I did change the saddle to a Sella an atomica. You should be able to get it for a little over your top price with some hagaling. good luck on your shoping.
    ¢¢

4. EvilGreg

EvilGreg Member

Look at the Trek FX line. I have the Trek 7.3 FX and it would probably fit your wants very well. I am currently thinking about selling it and going to a road bike like the Trek 1.2. I have enjoyed the 7.3 but really ride road all of the time and want drop bars.

5. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling Active Member

I agree, the Trek 7.3 FX is a good bike also. It comes with slightly thinner (700x32) tires than the Quick 4 (700x38). Either would be fine, though if you were mostly riding on gravel I might lean toward the wider tires of the Quick (also if riding through snow or considering studded tires). If you were mostly riding on pavement, I'd probably lean toward the 7.3 FX.

6. froze

froze Banned

I got on line and read about the different bikes and I would kind of agree with CYCLES recommendation of the Jamis Aurora Elite as well. It's a very well made and thought out road bike design that can be used for trails, touring, road, just about anything except rugged off road stuff of course. Also with a road bike design the bars allow more options for hand placement. The bike is make of steel rather then aluminum, and steel absorbs shock better then aluminum which means after a long day of riding your not going to feel as beat up. And Janis used a decent grade of steel tubing which in that price point usually you get a lower level tubeset. It even has reinforced collars for the head tube to prevent damage should the front wheel hit something.

It's designed for touring thus it will handle heavy loads with no problem.

And as an added bonus it has a classier old school look to it.

Right now is a good time to buy bikes due to end of season closeout sales. If your real lucky you might find a 2010 model and get if for even less then a 2011 closeout.

7. momule

momule New Member

I've been riding a Quick 3 for several years now and while it doesn't keep up with the lighter road bikes that is more a function of the engine than the machine. I ride casually on rail trails and around town and the Quick is durable as hell, stays adjusted pretty well, and it's comfortable to ride. I'm about to step up to another level but will probably stay with a hybrid because of their versatility. My Quick cost around 600 and I will be budgeting twice that for the new one, whatever it turns out to be. Right now I'm looking for a Trek Soho Delux to test ride but they're rare birds in the local bike shops. I love shopping for a new bike !!