Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thinking of getting a co2 inflater. i do carry a mini pump.
since my tire required pressure of 70-80 psi.
i thought if i need to repair a tire i would pump with the mini to about 20 psi then top of with the co2.
2 question:
1) how much psi does the co2 inflater inflate to?
2) which is a good one to get ?

thanks for your input in advance,
mitch

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I've found 2 cylinders can get me to a good pressure for a 700x23 tires. I like the Red Zeppelin inflator as it is just a head that accepts threaded CO2 cartirdges and has a control valve on it.

I've had the kind with a long body that the cartridge fits in to, IMHO it is a waste of space and it lacks the flow control of the Red Zeppelin.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I have that one and it works well sky.

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
How difficult is it to use CO2 inflators?

I figure, Fred that I am, I'd muck up a cartridge or two trying to inflate a tire, and be stuck with no alternative out in the boondocks. So I stick with my hand pump.

·
889 Posts
I don't even carry a pump anymore. I have a CO2 inflator in my bag, less room and it's for emergencies so as long as it gets the tires pumped up I can limp home.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
How difficult is it to use CO2 inflators?

I figure, Fred that I am, I'd muck up a cartridge or two trying to inflate a tire, and be stuck with no alternative out in the boondocks. So I stick with my hand pump.
They are no harder to use than hooking and pumping any other way and maybe faster and easier!

·
retromike3
274 Posts
CO2 versus pump

Back before I had the unfortunate encounter with a Chevy nova I used to go riding a lot in a park nearby my house. The park was Forest Park and even if I couldn't go riding on the hiking trails anymore I could still ride on the fire lines. The one thing that I noticed when writing on these two-lane dirt trails was all of the bloody CO2 cartridges wiring around. I must've seen 20 on the ride in to Portland. Now, if you could actually fill up your CO2 cartridge over again then it might be a good idea, but as it is right now it seems like a massive waste.

I carry a a small pump that you can unfold the section of it actually treated like a floor pump. The funny thing is that I carry an adapter that goes from Presta to Schrader. it's the hose from old floor pump I had and it just so happened I stuck Presta on the valve on the end of it and it worked .Its a little less than two feet long and not very large diameter so it can pump up to some pretty high-pressure.

It might be justified if you're racing in a totally unsupported event and you are not too lazy to leave the CO2 cartridge lying on the side of the trail. Otherwise carry a pump. In my humble opinion it's the best way to go.

mike

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have a hand pump allso, because I have stoped to help a fue :rolleyes: with Co2.
I did find a Co2 inflator on my ride the outher day, so someone is going to nead someone with a pump or Co2 some time.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
For anyone using a C02 inflator that has the cartridge exposed you may want to consider cutting up an old road tube into 2" pcs and use as insulatotors.
I carry C02 only out on the road. I have a Bontrager air rush 2 mini pump C02 combo I carry out mountain biking. I like to save my energy for riding.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Co2 vs. Pump

I carry about a foot and a half long pump that will let me put one end on the ground with my foot on it. the diameter is a little more than a inch wide so it lets me generate a lot of pressure. I am not made very tired by pumping up a tire on the road. I have tried out the mini pumps and all they seem to do is wear me out(maybe that's so they can sell more CO2 cartridges.)

mike

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,172 Posts
CO2 inflaters are a neat idea, but I don't like the waste involved, and just can't get over the vision of having one more flat than I have CO2 to handle it. Likely? No. But my bike pump is light, compact and capacity-limited only by my muscle power. It's the right thing for me. Your experience may vary ;-)

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I have 2 cartridges in my saddlebag, but have yet to use them. I have been really lucky in not having any flats in 2 1/2 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts