Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy one .any thoughts on cartridge size. Iam running 700cx25 tires.My other ride 700cx35. Justb curious which size cartridges to go with . I have been told it would take two 12s to fill a 700cx25 tire.
Paul

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
looking to buy one .any thoughts on cartridge size. Iam running 700cx25 tires.My other ride 700cx35. Justb curious which size cartridges to go with . I have been told it would take two 12s to fill a 700cx25 tire.
Paul
I use 16 gram on 700 23 and its works well.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I will add, I believe in the "pack it in pack it out" and don't throw them on the road/trail side. I do the same with GU or whatever I use. I carry it all back home or the closest dumpster/container.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I also carry two cartridges in my bag. Fortunately, I have never had to use them but they are there if I need them. Unfortunately, I don't really know if they work that well.

·
1,355 Posts
I used a co2 inflator when they first came out. Back then frame mount pumps weren't so good. The pumps available now are so much better that last year I switched back to a pump. I like the idea of infinite refills as opposed to, uh oh I used all of my co2 cartridges and now I have to walk, or worse, call my wife. :eek:
On the one that I have it doesn't empty all of the contents of the cartridge into the tire, it only fills the tire until the pressure is equal in the tire and the cartridge so I am not sure if using two will give you much more tire pressure.

Attachments

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I also carry two cartridges in my bag. Fortunately, I have never had to use them but they are there if I need them. Unfortunately, I don't really know if they work that well.
First flat with them, pretty sure my brother and I wasted the first cartridge due to lack of the slightest clue as to what we were doing.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
When I run out of my current supply of cartridges I am switching over to a pump. One thing not mentioned yet if you do use CO2 empty your tire out when you get home and refill it with air. CO2 leaches out of tubes at an incredible rate.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
davereo said:
When I run out of my current supply of cartridges I am switching over to a pump. One thing not mentioned yet if you do use CO2 empty your tire out when you get home and refill it with air. CO2 leaches out of tubes at an incredible rate.
Good to know, thanks for.that.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
First flat with them, pretty sure my brother and I wasted the first cartridge due to lack of the slightest clue as to what we were doing.
I have no doubt that this will most likely happen to me. I have a Giant mini-pump on my hybrid, and used it once to fill a low tire of the person I was riding with. It didn't really work all that good but then it could just be the pump or me not pumping hard enough.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
While we are on this topic, I have looked at both CO2 and hand pumps and have not purchased either yet. I am wondering what it is with a small, frame mounted hand pump that allows it to pump up a tire to 110+ lbs if you are not a hulk? I know those last few pounds of pressure using a floor pump are pretty tough and I just can't imaging getting the tire to the right pressure using just arm or hand strength. Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I used my co2 pump for the first time 2 weeks ago and is it fast and gets damn cold, but works very well.

I was going to buy the replacement cart for my LBS, but they wanted $3 for 1. I bought 15 at walmart for under $9...

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
While we are on this topic, I have looked at both CO2 and hand pumps and have not purchased either yet. I am wondering what it is with a small, frame mounted hand pump that allows it to pump up a tire to 110+ lbs if you are not a hulk? I know those last few pounds of pressure using a floor pump are pretty tough and I just can't imaging getting the tire to the right pressure using just arm or hand strength. Anyone have a clue?
Topeak Road Morph is a good pump.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I used my co2 pump for the first time 2 weeks ago and is it fast and gets damn cold, but works very well.

I was going to buy the replacement cart for my LBS, but they wanted $3 for 1. I bought 15 at walmart for under $9...
I have a genuine innovations open chuck inflator. I have cut up an old inner tube and use the pcs. as a sleeve over the outside of the cartridge. Helps keep your digits from freezing off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts