Votes: 2 7.1%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I love the smell of a fresh brewed pot, but It taste like ass.

So I don't drink the stuff...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the smell of a fresh brewed pot, but It taste like ass.

So I don't drink the stuff...
I love the taste, smell AND effects of the caffeine :)

I would avoid it prior to a ride. Best to not rely on the caffeine, and don't let it displace your hydration intake.
That makes sense. It's a diuretic if I remember correctly, which explains why I always have to pee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love coffee, caffeine, and even the diuretic effects, make my urinary tract feel cleaned out, kinda like prune juice lol.

I've found that as long as I drink enough water along with my morning cup, I feel way better once I get out to ride/run.

I read in one of Dean Karnazes books that something in coffee contributes to slow muscle contractions, which helps with longer distances and is also why it helps with the morning poop.

Essentially, I'm an addict, and I loooove coffee. Thanks for making a thread on coffee so I can obsess over it a little more.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Essentially, I'm an addict, and I loooove coffee. Thanks for making a thread on coffee so I can obsess over it a little more.
My day started on a sour note today because I left my coffee thermos sitting at home this morning. The stuff we have here at work tastes something like what I would expect flavored toilet water to taste like.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
How would you know that? Reminds me of the Lewis Grizzard bit about dog food and the old Jim Dandy dog food ad. The announcer guy goes "It's meatier and tastier." Well the question of all questions becomes, "How does he know that? Had his head down a sack of Jim Dandy lately? I guarantee the dog didn't tell him."

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
How would you know that? Reminds me of the Lewis Grizzard bit about dog food and the old Jim Dandy dog food ad. The announcer guy goes "It's meatier and tastier." Well the question of all questions becomes, "How does he know that? Had his head down a sack of Jim Dandy lately? I guarantee the dog didn't tell him."
...I would *expect* flavored toilet water to taste like. :)

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm starting my four day weekend off with a cup right now. And fresh cantaloupe, waffles, scrambled eggs and bacon. But I'll only be hiking later, not riding.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lewis Grizzard was a true American hero and patriot.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I drink coffee 24/7 so yeah, before after, sometimes during, as long as I've had my morning BM I drink and ride like a mad man!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If Lewis had run for president, I know I would have voted for him. Thing is about that job of president. Anyone that has enough sense to do the job has got better sense than to want it, and those that want the job have no business with it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
As far as coffee and riding, it is a diuretic, but caffeine is in most energy gels. Would it be smart to drink to pots before riding? Probably not, but I also think it wouldn't do that much harm to have a little either if you are hydrating properly. I just think that most things in life moderation is the key. A little might be good, but a little more might not be better.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My only issue with it before a ride is too many pee breaks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If Lewis had run for president, I know I would have voted for him. Thing is about that job of president. Anyone that has enough sense to do the job has got better sense than to want it, and those that want the job have no business with it.
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies...

My ulterior motive on the coffee, of course, is that with all of those pee breaks, I might be able to keep up with the group....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay okay, so I'm not the only one who likes to regulate his bowels in the mornings. I've been doing more running than biking lately, and I've noticed that the more coffee I drink in the morning, the less cramps I get when I run in the afternoon. Not sure what that's about, but if it means I can chug more Maxwell House and McDonalds coffee, I'm fine!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts