Do you drink coffee?

• Yes

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.1%

COFFEE!! Good or Bad?

8K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Industry_Hack 
#1 ·
Well, is caffeinated coffee good or bad while training??

#4 ·
#5 ·
I love the smell of a fresh brewed pot, but It taste like ass.

So I don't drink the stuff...

#6 ·
I love the smell of a fresh brewed pot, but It taste like ass.

So I don't drink the stuff...
I love the taste, smell AND effects of the caffeine :)

I would avoid it prior to a ride. Best to not rely on the caffeine, and don't let it displace your hydration intake.
That makes sense. It's a diuretic if I remember correctly, which explains why I always have to pee.

#8 ·
I love coffee, caffeine, and even the diuretic effects, make my urinary tract feel cleaned out, kinda like prune juice lol.

I've found that as long as I drink enough water along with my morning cup, I feel way better once I get out to ride/run.

I read in one of Dean Karnazes books that something in coffee contributes to slow muscle contractions, which helps with longer distances and is also why it helps with the morning poop.

Essentially, I'm an addict, and I loooove coffee. Thanks for making a thread on coffee so I can obsess over it a little more.

#9 ·
Essentially, I'm an addict, and I loooove coffee. Thanks for making a thread on coffee so I can obsess over it a little more.
My day started on a sour note today because I left my coffee thermos sitting at home this morning. The stuff we have here at work tastes something like what I would expect flavored toilet water to taste like.

#10 ·
How would you know that? Reminds me of the Lewis Grizzard bit about dog food and the old Jim Dandy dog food ad. The announcer guy goes "It's meatier and tastier." Well the question of all questions becomes, "How does he know that? Had his head down a sack of Jim Dandy lately? I guarantee the dog didn't tell him."

#12 ·
How would you know that? Reminds me of the Lewis Grizzard bit about dog food and the old Jim Dandy dog food ad. The announcer guy goes "It's meatier and tastier." Well the question of all questions becomes, "How does he know that? Had his head down a sack of Jim Dandy lately? I guarantee the dog didn't tell him."
...I would *expect* flavored toilet water to taste like. :)

#14 ·
Lewis Grizzard was a true American hero and patriot.

#17 ·
As far as coffee and riding, it is a diuretic, but caffeine is in most energy gels. Would it be smart to drink to pots before riding? Probably not, but I also think it wouldn't do that much harm to have a little either if you are hydrating properly. I just think that most things in life moderation is the key. A little might be good, but a little more might not be better.

#19 ·
If Lewis had run for president, I know I would have voted for him. Thing is about that job of president. Anyone that has enough sense to do the job has got better sense than to want it, and those that want the job have no business with it.
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies...

My ulterior motive on the coffee, of course, is that with all of those pee breaks, I might be able to keep up with the group....

#20 ·
Okay okay, so I'm not the only one who likes to regulate his bowels in the mornings. I've been doing more running than biking lately, and I've noticed that the more coffee I drink in the morning, the less cramps I get when I run in the afternoon. Not sure what that's about, but if it means I can chug more Maxwell House and McDonalds coffee, I'm fine!

#25 ·
My day started on a sour note today because I left my coffee thermos sitting at home this morning. The stuff we have here at work tastes something like what I would expect flavored toilet water to taste like.
The coffee we have at work tastes amazing. I try to limit my intake of coffee at work because they use a type of French press and I've read that coffee brewed that way has a negative impact on healthy cholesterol levels.

#26 ·
From one that has been a long time Liptor customer, if you never ate anything that some study somewhere said would raise your cholesterol, you would fit right in in Ethiopia. I tried controlling mine with diet, and my cholesterol went from 284 to 283. Lost 10 lbs that month, blood pressure dropped, ate no red meat, no fried foods. I was so sick of chicken fish and turkey I could croak. Long time ago when the wife switched jobs, I had to be off the meds for 6 months to get the insurance to pay for it. At the end of 6 months it was 325. With the meds its under 200. If you need them take the meds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.