Coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by coco2, Sep 12, 2009.

1. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

I've just purchased a new coffee machine which i hope to make the most "keep me awake" expresso's, and i was wondering if any of you lovely cyclists would recommend any ground coffee that would satisfy my caffene addiction.

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I really suggest buying a grinder and then buying whole bean coffee. Much better taste IMO and stays more fresh.

What machine did you get? I'm a coffee nut both drip and espresso.

3. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

hi dean thanks for the suggestion, i will try that on monday as i will have to buy myself a grinder.

what type of coffee bean do you recomend for that first kick of the morning.

the model i have is a gaggia cubika...it makes a double expresso in about 20 seconds.

4. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

DITTO, need to grind it fresh, and freshly roasted is even better. IMO

DrB

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I drink mostly Mayorga organic Cafe Cubano from Costco. It's whole bean and very reasonably priced. I brew it in a French press for maximum extraction of caffeinated goodness.

6. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for your input into my addiction...i will certainly be going down the road of griding the beans rather than buying ready ground.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Espresso, Illy, Drip, rotate. As long as it's hot and black. Grinding is important. I think as long as you grind fresh and the beans aren't stale your in for a good cup of coffee.

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Right now we are drinking Ruta Maya.

We need an office espresso machine bad. We have nice Saeco at home,

9. Biker

Biker New Member

Ruta Maya is Brewed in Austin right?

10. crazystreet

crazystreet Guest

There are alot of popular ones like vanilla hazelnut and snickerdoodle... but I've been hearing some interesting suggestions lately when I was asking about the coffee they are selling at a local place... probably alot or organic stuff

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I hate the weird flavored coffee, they detract from what I like which is the taste of coffee.

12. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

I get mine from CoffeeAm (on the web). After shipping is about the same price per ounce as getting Seattle's Best or S-bucks at the grocery, but IMO CoffeeAm is much better. A nice selection of both flavored and blends as well as a host of different countries. I found 2 I really liked and ordered 5lb packages which brought the cost down more. Good stuff!

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

We have ground our own coffee for years.

And I have one of those French Press coffee makers I use in the afternoon or evening and it IS STRONG but "love it".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press

Plan coffee, no sugar, cream or nothing, COFFEE

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  14. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

I've just started grinding my own coffee, what a difference there is in taste, and with you there burr, have your coffee naked no milk or sugar...

15. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Puts hair on your chest, ah with me it's "gray hair".

16. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I like Guatemalan beans, from high in the mountains.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I like the beans that get you all jacked up. I drink a lot of blue mountain though. High altitude arabica beans are the best. Burr do they have a specialty Philipino Coffee?

18. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I raced with a guy a few years ago that roasted his own coffee beans. Any of you all ever roast your own or have fresh roasted coffee?

19. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

YES BUT, my wife take care of that. All I do is drink it.

We drink a pot every morning sitting on the side of the bed while my wife tells me what I am going to do today, answer is "Yes Dear". We get up around 4-5 in the morning.