Cold, Cold Weather Booties????

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by whyeyebike, Feb 2, 2010.

1. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

So recently I have been braving the elements and getting out for more road rides, and to my surprise; my equipment is fantastic. Everything that is except my booties. I currently have the Pearl Cyclone covers and I wear two pairs of socks, 1 moisture wick cycling and 1 pair of wool. I am looking for more wind protection. Waterproofing probably will not be an issue for me, but it would help to find something good at both windproofing and waterproofing.

The booties I have been looking at are:

- Specialized Neoprene Shoe Covers - which I believe are about 3mm thick, not sure if they have any lining.
    - Pearl Amfib Shoe Covers - which I believe are also 3mm thick, with fleece lining.

Can anyone who rides in cold, cold climates give me their opinion on the two listed above....and of course I am totally willing to take other suggestions? I mention these two only because my two trusted LBS sell these brands.

Thanks,

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

For clarification....I am looking at between 20F and sub 0F temps when I am riding.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I've worn the AmFibs in pretty cold conditions. Down to about 7 deg F. They work good on their own to about 15 to 20 deg. Colder than that and I also add my toe covers underneath.

I avoid layering socks too thick, because my experience has been that my toes actually get colder if I can't move them around in my shoes to keep the blood flowing.

No experience with the AmFibs in the rain, though, so I can't comment on that.

Pay attention to the PI sizing chart if you go with those. I would have thought I needed a L, but they were too small, so I had to return them for an XL. Also, if you're buying them locally, I'd take your shoes in and try them on. My cleat cut outs seem a little too far forward and are difficult to stretch over my cleat. Really my only complaint with them so far.

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

What kind of toe covers do you have? I actually thought of that as an even even colder weather back up option so I wouldn't have to layer the socks as much.

5. Xela

Some off brand with a thin fleece liner. I'll have to look up the brand when I get home. It seems like they were fairly cheap, but I've had them for several years now with no complaints.

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Appreciate the help...

7. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I am starting to think that Pearl is discontinuing the AmFib Shoe Cover. Can't seem to find my size anywhere online, and all searching is leading me to the "Barrier Shoe Cover" (which by the way is 10 bucks more). Anyone heard anything about the Barrier? It too is made of 3mm neoprene with a fleece lining and cleat cutouts. It looks like the only difference between the two models is the zipper/velcro.

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I just use the Performance brand booties. In conjunction with my Lake winter shoes, they work fine for the winters around here.

9. Xela

Those toe-covers I have are made by Bellwether. I have had them so long, I don't see any like mine online. I guess this is there replacement.

BELLWETHER COLDRONT TOE WARMER at JensonUSA.com

If these are anywhere near as good as the ones I have, that's a great deal. I'm very happy with mine. Just the toe-cover alone and a pair of Assos winter socks keep my feet warm do to around 30.

10. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Ended up getting the Specialized Neoprene Shoe Covers (don't think they have a fancy name) and they worked like a beauty. Hit the road for 30+ this past Sunday with a tempt at start of about 20F. It did warm up throughout the ride but I was happy with the way they worked at the beginning.