Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I find that any hydrophobic ( water hating ) fabric works fine. Anything from my oldest polypro to my newest "Red Hot Chiles" works fine. I don't have any cycling specific base layer top. Although I am sure that something with a longer back would be nice, I have never noticed my top layer riding up enough to cause a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are many different options. Let me first declare my qualifications to answer this question. I have been trained in the armys extreme weather program and have spent many nights in the northern Minnesota windy cold with uniform and bag only. Ok now the most important layer is the base layer and you want to make sure that whatever you use it allows the transfer of moisture away from your skin. Traditionally poly pro has been effective for this but companies have developed many space age alternatives now. Do not do not do not use any cotton blend. I use a company called DeFeet. I like their products I believe it is 90% acrylic and 10 percent poly. I have tried heavier things and find these to be better at the all important moisture transfer.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Waiting for Alex "The Ice Man" to comment.
Oh. I let you guys down. I didn't even login yesterday. I've written my thoughts on baselayers and discuss the ones I use over at Industry Outsider. Give it a look, and let me know if you have any questions. I also totally agree that getting the moisture away from the skin is very important. That's one of the big reasons why I don't go for windblocking baselayers. No matter how good the windblock material is, it's been my experience that it doesn't breath as well as a base layer without it.

Here's the link: » Winter Riding Gear: The Basics of Base Layers - Industry Outsider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts