Combine Speed and Fun

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by 4li5t4ir, Aug 30, 2009.

1. 4li5t4ir

4li5t4ir New Member

Hello all, this is my first post here, and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post. I have recently got the cycling bug and want to get another bike (after mine was stolen). I do not want to get an ordinary off the shelf bike. My ideal bike would combine the speed of a race bike but at the same time being strong enough to be thrown around (little bunny hops, surviving pot holes etc). I was thinking of putting 3 gears on it because I live 8 miles for the city and there are many hills and I would like it as simple as possible and I know that there will be tradeoffs but I would prefer speed more then the strength. I don't know where to start though, what frame, wheels, gears etc should I look at? I am 6' and I have a budget of €600. Thanks!

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I have a Spec crosstrail and love it. I ride pretty much wherever I want, asphalt, dirt whatever it has the full complement of 27 gears, but it works for me. The bike is better of asphalt than dirt, but it does pretty good overall, has shocks on the front that I can lock down with the turn of a dial, bike cost $700 off the shelf. It's a pretty good bike for me, but I prefer the asphalt so I'm goin to drop the dime and get a Spec Roubaix pretty soon. Good luck with your choice.

DrB

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

mtndoc, Any detail on how you like your crosstrail would be appreciated. I just discovered the Spec crosstrail elite. Thats about my max budget. My riding is similar to yours with mostly sidewalks, but vally curb crossing, and hard packed gravel, uneven pavment is common. I ride a Hibrid now, and did not want to give up that speed but want durability and a better bike all round than my Diamondback Edgwood. My issue is the more I read on the Spec bikes the more confused I get because they all sound great. LOL I like the Sirrus Sport, but wanted disc breaks and the Glove Sport Disc sounds awesome as well.

4. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Kona has some decent disc-braked hybrids in their Asphalt line.

5. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Skidmark,
    I love my crosstrail, it is the neon, big black monster... I would look at the disc brakes though, mine doesn't have them and there are times I wish it did...you can add them, but if they come with it I suspect it is cheaper... I literally beat the hell out of the bike and no problems other than flats, goatsheads, dam things!!!! I ride from 15-50 miles on the bike, can keep up pretty good with the road bikes, and does ok off road, definately leans toward asphalt, but it is one tough bike, the front shocks help with the rough terrain. I ride on rough asphalt, chip and seal(stuff sucks), and dirt, bike performs well. I think it was a good choice, 2yrs and 7500mi later still love the bike.
    Good luck, hope this helps..

DrB

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Skidmark

mtndoc, Thats a great report. Right now Im riding about 15 daily but want to make some longer jaunts. Thats very similar to the type of riding that we have as well. My B-Day is in two weeks so it looks like mama has something to work for. LOL

7. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Hey Skidmark, did I mention to look at the disc brakes? I almost hit the opposite roadside bank and an oncoming car when I just couldn't get it whoa'd down enough for a hairpin turn on a downhill run, came in WAY too fast(bout 35mph):eek:. No harm done, I think the driver and passenger were more scared than I was, happened to fast to think about, but disc brakes would have helped.

DrB

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. Skidmark

Yes, an gotcha! I had a incident myself this am with a car darting out from a blind drive without stopping. Luckly I was able to hit the ditch which was just sand grass. Glad to hear you were not injured. I am looking at the Specialized Sport Globe Disc. There are a couple of others that are very similar to the cross trail as well. Going back in a week to test ride them as all of the 09's are on sale.