Commuter bike tire

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by ChaChing, May 6, 2009.

1. ChaChing

ChaChing Guest

I use my bike to commute to work everyday, as I only live about 3 mi from my job. I need some new tires, but am not sure which to get. Anyone have any suggestions for a bike tire that can last me at least a few thousand miles?

2. chefmike

chefmike New Member

Shameless bump... I need tires and would love to hear from commuters/distance freaks on their tire choices...

3. Gallagher9

Gallagher9 Guest

Oh how I wish my job was that close so that I could bike there everyday! It's 2 towns over so it's definitely out of the picture! But I can dream, can't I?

4. Steve5881

Steve5881 Guest

Depends on the type of bike you ride but check out the bontrager hardcase tyre. Great puncture protection for low maintanence, should easily rack up the miles ok that without any trouble.

5. thoffman

thoffman New Member

Commuting Tires

I've been quite happy with my Specialized Armadillos. They've been carrying me back and forth to work and home for several months now without a problem. They seem to be wearing very well and I've had no flats.

6. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

I like the Schwalbe Marathon, 1.5".
    Fast rolling, with a kevlar strip for puncture protection.

7. antibard

antibard New Member

for road bikes:

michelin krylions were amazing- they shifted production to china and they aren't the same but still recommended, hutchinson equinox are awesome value but not so great in the wet, continental ultra gatorskin might be the best for fast commuting as they are super-tough.

i'm currently running continental gp4000s on my steed and although they feel great they aren't holding up well on london roads.

8. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Seconded.