Commuting distances... average

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by jeepwithnoname, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jeepwithnoname

jeepwithnoname New Member

Just curious... what are some of the distances you guys travel on your bike commute? How often? How long does it take? Do you leave one town or city and go to another? If so... what are the names and states of said cities or towns? What about bad weather?

People have been talking me out of commuting on my bike to and from work because it is too far or too dangerous. Just want some input.

Thanks

2. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

My old commute was only a couple miles and I spent a lot of that time in parking lots. I recently got transferred to a new store so my commute has changed to more like 8 miles from Elizabethtown, KY to Radcliff, KY. I mostly ride on the emergency lane of the main 4-lane highway. I have no real worries about the ride. I do suggest a mirror on the helmet or the bike that your can keep an eye on traffic taking the turn lane and wide load trucks that may hang over. My ride can be done in less than half an hour but does require a little time to cool down and change clothes before work. I suggest giving yourself plenty of time to fix a flat if needed and make sure you have the tools and such to do so. I say go for it. I've heard of guys that make a 45 mile commute each way, 5 days a week. One guy would drive in one day with the bike on the rack, ride the bike home that night, then back in the morning. That afternoon, he would drive back home. Another option would be to drive halfway there and ride in the remainder. You may try making the ride on your day off to see how bad it is and not have to worry about making it in on time.

3. camilo

camilo New Member

12.5 miles one way. Hilly, but trend downhill and flat in the morning, an uphill slog for the last 7 miles on the return.

4. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

I have 2 route options. One is about 11.75 miles and takes 45 min. to an hour, but is all flat. The other is only about 6 miles, takes about 30 min and is hilly.

5. jeepwithnoname

jeepwithnoname New Member

Keep em comin.... I am started to get fired up about it. My commute is 17 miles each way and mostly flat the whole way. I see a guy doing it everyday and it is inspiring.

6. BajaScout

BajaScout New Member

San Diego Commute

Mine is about 18 miles one way. Mostly flat, but there is a hill at the very end each way. My average time is 80 minutes each way. There is a bike path for about 50% of the ride. Only one section is a little dangerous and that is only for about 2 blocks due to traffic. The morning trip is in the dark, but traffic is light then. If your route is safe, go for it. I would never go back to commuting in a car unless I had no choice.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

It's 2.8 miles round trip plus I do about another mile riding around town for lunch, errands, etc.

To work it's all downhill, I barely have to pedal at all. Coming back home it's all uphill and it's a climb!

8. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

the fun way is 16 miles one way, that includes cuttign through a state park's easier mountain bike trails. i use my road-mutter

9. Reesh

Reesh and Monkeypants

My commute is 12 miles each way, a mix of rolling steep hills and long, gradual inclines through downtown St. Louis and the suburbs. It takes about an hour each way with all the stop signs and stop lights. At 5:30 AM, it's nice to own the road ;)

10. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I only live 2 miles from work, but it's pretty rare that I ride less than 5 miles to work. There's a selection of routes I can take, that pretty much all end up with the last 2-3 miles of MUP, that stretch from the above-mentioned 5 miles to a fun 9+.

Available time, weather, and mood determine which route gets the prize for the day....

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Not a commute but I ride a 10 mile rute, I try to ride every day 55 min. It is a nice route with some small hills, or speed bumps as the good riders tell me but at 64 I am realy likeing it. I do this on my Jamis explorer 2, But I picked up a 2 month old Cannondale Quick 6 last night might have to find some extra miles.

12. boxhill

boxhill New Member

If I rode the whole way to work, it would be just under 40 miles. That said, I usually ride 4 miles from my door to our local train station, hop on a bus down the interstate for about 25 miles to another train station, and ride another bike I keep locked up at the station (in a rented bike locker) for a short two miles to my office.

I'm going to attempt the full ~40 miles in two weeks, for "Car Free DC day..." assuming my other half is cool with that.

13. Biker

Biker New Member

To far. But not on bike. New job has me driving thirty miles each way. That would be a hell of a ride day in and day out.

14. antibard

antibard New Member

my commute is 9-9.5 miles each way depending on the route. i have a 9 mile route that takes in one hill, the 9.5 mile route is flatter.

i ride from south east to north west london- right through the middle. one route takes me past the houses of parliament which is quite fun, the other goes over waterloo bridge which has one of the best views in london

record for the 9.5 mile route is 33 minute (quite late at night after a couple of beers)

record for the 9 mile is 32 minutes (not so late at night, getting lucky with traffic lights and really really going for it)

my normal time is 35-36 mins for either. i look on it as good practice for time-trials

15. mikeyhudson

mikeyhudson New Member

I have commuted to work two time since I have gotten my bike. Its getting really cold out, so I am gonna wait until spring to ride everyday to work. It is only 6 miles to work, but on these 2 occasions I have taken the long way home. One was 12 miles and the other was 17 miles home. There are numerous routes for me to go to and from work and I am planning on mixing it up when it is decent outside.

16. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

12 miles each way. There is a shorter route, but it sucks!

17. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

My commute is about 4.8 miles each way, equal parts bike lane, street and sidewalk, in the Phoenix, AZ. The mornings during summer are OK, the ride home later in the day can get pretty brutal when the temps get in the 100's.

18. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

forgot about this thread, but i moved and my commute is now 24 miles one way, it's not a bad ride at all though, just only do it 3-4 days a week

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You only work 3-4 days a week or you only commute 3-4 days a week?

20. Katcorot

Katcorot YearRounder

26km one way, mostly MUP, tho I tend to ride on busy rode more often to avoid alot of pedestrians on the MUP.