Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I am a newbie. I haven't ridden a bike in 10+ years. I am looking to get back into riding as a form of exercise and enjoyment. Here is my main problem, what bike to get. The majority of my riding will be on the roads in a small town that is very hilly and most rides will be a few miles. I would like to eventually branch out into some longer rides on more main roadways in the 5-10 mile range. I really don't care what type of Bike I have as long as it is in the $500-$700 range. I have a bike shop around me so I can get properly fitted but I need a starting point. I really like the way mountain bikes look but don't know if they make one that is functional for roads and hills.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
A hybrid would suit you well. The geometry is going to be less aggressive (read:more comfortable) than a road bike or MTB, and will most likely include a suspension fork, and possible a suspension seatpost, which will take the edge off poor road surfaces. Any bike with a triple - three chainrings up front, will likely offer the gearing you'll need for hills.

I'm partial to Giant, but what do your local shops carry?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks IH. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to see what selection they have. At this point I am trying to get a start and your suggestion of a hybrid seems to be just what I'm looking for. If they carry Giant can you give me a suggestion of a model to look at in my price range?

Thanks again

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Expert?

I'm not sure what you are asking. I kinda new to bikes as well.

My bike is made by Specialized and is called a crosstrail at least that is what it says on the frame.
It is a 21 speed and it has 700x45 tires there is no tread in the middle of the tire with nobbs on the side which makes it good on the street and off road.
I told the guy at the LBS what kinda riding I was going to do and this is what he came up with. He was right I am happy with it. It was $459.00 before tax which is in your price range.

I was riding a single speed Walmart bike before I bought this so I haven't really rode enough or been around bikes enough to say it the best choice but I like it.

Good luck.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would look at a 2010 Fuji Absolute 2.0 a lot of bike. maybe a better deal than my 1.0, you should be able to deal with them some on the price. 27 spd., disc brakes 700x28c tires nice flat bar road bike
My .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, did you get anything Mookie? If not I enjoy my Raleigh Misceo 2.0 the 2010 was $700, you could also downgrade to the Misceo 1.0
Yeah I settled on the Trek 7100. I think I'll ride it for a couple of months and when the Trek Waubesa comes out I might upgrade. I figure the bike was $400 new. I can probably get $350 on craigslist so I'll eat the $80 loss and upgrade if I want to.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Sounds like me a few months back.........hadn't ridin in 10 years!

Went with a New 2010 Trek 3 Series 3900 Disc edition! Since then I have completely rebuilt the bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts