Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
Moderator Note: Just so we know, this discussion started over in a thread about singlespeeds, and it kind of took over the tread. I moved it here so it can be a place where we discuss what components/groups we like/dislike and why.--Xela

Amazing, SprocketGirl! I had a 585 and two 595s before my back and neck convinced me to get something with a taller head-tube. But Shimano? ;)
i know... ick but even they can get a fixed gear right :)

don-utos - pop tart is close it is food, i have random packages of food tossed about my home just in case... i do like pop tarts thus surprised it isn't.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
nothing at all it is a silly joke between xela and i
we both have rides with Campy and some riders believe only campy... honestly i think sram and shimano make some good stuff. on a fully geared road bike i do believe campy ast better and is smoother shifting with a nicer feel. for sure quieter than sram and more solid shifting than shimano... but more money, is the extra coin worth it personal choice.

no offense meant to any shimano riders... obviously i have a bike with shimano on it.(my favorite of all my bikes) and have had it long enough to change it had i thought it was no good.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's right. I ride dura ace because i'm cheap and don't know anything about quality shifting.
i was not implying that dura ace is cheap or low quality. just that i feel Campy Record is a little better and Super Record is lighter. I do not like the fact that the brake levers move side to side on Shimano stuff just personal preference... for myself it makes campy feel firmer. in fairness, i have small hands and the campy shifting feels better. you may find it to be totally different.

as far as Sram i do not like the pop the shifting makes from the double-tap. however, it is the lightest stuff on the market and a lot of pro teams use it so it is obviously good equipment.

plus i won't lie i toured Campagnolo and they were cool folks. it was not a scheduled tour and they gave me a shirt and a record rear derailleur(i had record shifters with a chorus rd they wanted me to have a matched group) just for stopping by. plus the stuff is made right there in Vicenza vs. all over the world mostly Asia like the other two companies. i have seriously never heard any complaint about any of their products besides price and availability at some LBS. the availability issue is usually a price issue as well. too expensive to stock.

So, are Shimano components bad or cheap? nope not at all.
Is Shimano cheaper than Campy? yep, everywhere i have ever shopped.
Which is better? it is personal preference...

until i have a problem or use something that is better i will always put campy on my race bike. show me a bike with something other than electronic shifting or Campy that shifts quieter and more responsive than mine and i will give you mine... not the components the whole bike. responsive and quality shifting is partially opinion of course but the sound is not. Campy drive trains are the quietest on the market.

Dan, you have some amazingly nice bikes and i am sure you have more bike knowledge than i do. plus by the looks of your classic cars more mechanical ability. i would never suggest that you are wrong or that you should switch to Campy. sorry if any of this has come across as snobby, it is not my intention. we all have our preferences. my only unwavering opinion on cycling is that anyone who wants to should be able to own and ride a bike.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
I'm glad you cleared that up. I personally don't find any one high end group to shift better than another, they're simply different IMO. I find IME that persons buying campy are either buying it purely for status, or they don't like the brake lever being the shifter like you were saying. One of my customers even bought campy because he likes the fact that you can drop 10 gears at once.

I work on everything, campy, shimano, sram. They all do the same thing for the most part, they just do it a little differently. That's where the preference comes into play. Be it Record, Dura ace, Red, they're all nice.

To be honest none of the new stuff really blows up my kilt. I'm more partial to older 8 and 9 speed dura ace with down tube shifters. Even the 7800 for 10 speed.

Any way, I used to work for a guy that was totally elitist about Bianchis with full campy, if you knew anything about bikes that's what you'd be riding kinda guy. If you said Bianchi wrong he'd snap at you and correct you. This was back when SRAM hadn't really fully hit the road market yet so it was either shimano or campy, and if you weren't riding campy you were no one to this guy. Kinda seemed like you were going that route but evidently I was wrong. Sorry for being an @$$ but that's exactly what I am. If I was more well known by people on here it would explain a lot. I'm great with bikes, cars, animals and instruments. People, not so much. And for that, I apologize.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
don't apologize... i totally understand, plus i have language issues and sometimes what i am thinking in my native language when translated to english comes out wrong.

the elitist thing does drive me crazy as well. i will say one don side to campy is that people sometimes think you are a snob. (not you, i had made a statement that suggested i was) what i mean is when i ride up to the bike shop and another cyclist is like well i can't ride with you because i don't have a wool jersey. i am not like that i would ride with anyone.

i also agree that all of the above could be better. you hit it on that and with the part about the brake lever being part of the shifter. that is the only thing i dis like about shimano. as for sram if it did not make the loud snap when you double tapped it would probably be my favorite.

my commuter has downtube 8 speed shifters and i love it, by the way all shimano on it as well. besides a sram chain... i like the quick connect.

i do not believe you are an @$$ not that you have to or care what i think but to clarify. i see you as someone who knows their art and interests well enough to not except crappy generalized statements. i admire you and wish i could learn more about all types of mechanics from you. thanks for letting me explain i am at times misunderstood as well.

one example is the not driving thing. i have been harassed and considered a crazy environmentalist for not having a license. my employers wife one time said, "sorry we do not all have a cause and can't be perfect like you!" she was talking about me riding everywhere when i asked if i could take my bike and meet them at a business dinner. my reasoning had nothing to do with a cause, i wanted my own transportation so, i could leave when i felt like it. plus, i am really scared of cars. i also usually from embarrassment have trouble explaining but i am working on just saying it. so, here i go... i am so frightened by riding in cars that i can anxiety to the point that i feel like i will either puke or crap my pants. i know completely ridiculous but true. it is to the point that after a lunch with my boss on the fifteen minute ride back to the office i had to ask him to stop at a gas station so i could use the facilities. if not for this i would own a nice car and drive. but just is what it is... blame my parents the first time i ever got in a motor vehicle i was fifteen.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i suppose... making up is just so much fun though!

i think i am going to order a Wabi Classic now after looking at them and hearing what you said about customer service.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
I was very resistant to driving for a while. I wouldn't have got my liscence if I wasn't pushed to do so. I was content to ride my bike everywhere, and I was in much better shape back then. I was going to car shows and such for a while but grew tired of that scene.

I'd roll my 59 morris van to a show, keeping in mind this was car built in oxford england for the UK market, wheel is on the right. I was getting beat by made in mexico volkswagens that were never in europe in a "best euro" category. I've also watched my dad get beat by an unmodified car that literally looked like it was driven across country and never washed. When someones beater commuter car is beating legit show quality cars (not just ours) at a show, you know it's rigged.

:But I digress. If you were local Sprocket, i'd gladly buy you a beverage of choice. :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Speaking of beverage I have a pint of Fischer Blond Ale in the fridge from a store that sells import beer. Better see if that qualifies as good??

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
I've developed a taste for newcastle since i quit drinking hard alcohol. I still am not huge on beer but it seems like i'm more likely to drink one now.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I guess since I started the whole Campy/Shimano thing, I should chime in. In all fairness, I went from 105s to Campy about 5 years ago and haven't spent any significant time on any group since. One thing I really love about my Campy are the ergonomics of the hoods. It just feels so much better for me. Also, I do like and often do shift 3 to 5 gears down on the back. In addition, I can still remember my first shift on a Campy. I was out on a loop with the local shop mechanic and was discussing my next bike with him. He put me on his bike so I could see how the Campy worked. I still to this day remember the exact spot where I first shifted with Campy. Sounds stupid, but it was love at first shift. :love:

Like I said, that was a comparison with the 105 group, but Campy has given me no good reason to want to try anything else. When your as happy with something as I am with the Record, why risk it?

I will say, Campy sometimes holds on to tradition a little too long, IMO. Just look at how long they kept the square taper.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Remembering that first shift isn't odd. I have a similar experience with a photo I took back in 1995. To this day, I'm sure it's my single greatest photographic achievement, and I can remember every detail of the moment I took it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Remembering that first shift isn't odd. I have a similar experience with a photo I took back in 1995. To this day, I'm sure it's my single greatest photographic achievement, and I can remember every detail of the moment I took it.
Still got it? Let's see it.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I have the contact sheet, but cannot find the negatives. They are among the several thousand photos taken by me over the last twenty years. It was at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York. I used my old A1, a 50mm 1.4, and I held it against my chest and I must have stopped my heart for a second, it was so sharp for being such a long exposure.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
From 105 to record, i'd think anyone would be impressed. Like how people like to compare cheap OEM v brakes to a high end disc setup. Not denying the ergonomics are different and the shifter works a little different, but you did compare a mid range group to a high end one. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
In all fairness, I went from 105s to Campy about 5 years ago and haven't spent any significant time on any group since...Like I said, that was a comparison with the 105 group...
Yep, as I clearly pointed out. I'm not knocking anyone's personal preferences, I'm just saying what I like. SG and I have had discussions about our love of Campy, so seeing the big Dura-Ace crank on the Look was somewhat surprising and I was just taking a friendly dig at her. That's all. Wow, this thread clearly is OT.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, as I clearly pointed out. I'm not knocking anyone's personal preferences, I'm just saying what I like. SG and I have had discussions about our love of Campy, so seeing the big Dura-Ace crank on the Look was somewhat surprising and I was just taking a friendly dig at her. That's all. Wow, this thread clearly is OT.
i took i squarely on the chin... ;)
nonetheless, CAMPY = :love::D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts