Computer

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by jcans1409, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jcans1409

jcans1409 New Member

I recently got my first bike and am looking to put a computer on it to monitor speed and so on. I have been looking at a few sites and they all recommend something else. What do you all enjoy?

2. chibibike

chibibike Banned

my new computer

i recently got a bontranger trip 3 and it's great. it's not wireless, i just figured it wouldn't be much of a difference so I'll just save $40 dollars and get the wired one. It comes in black or white and has everything computers have including candance and it's right on, I tested it with my gps and it's very accurate and the sensors stay in place and are very snug. just pull on the zip ties hard, maybe with some pliers to make sure they are tight. When I put on the magnet on the peddle for the candance I used some double sided mounting tape behind it plus the zip tie and it holds it in place a lot better as well as brings it closer to the sensor a little which prolly helps too. Getting a wireless one would prolly be an easier set up but then you have to worry about more batteries.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

It really depends on what you want your computer to do. Wireless is great unless you get a lot of interference from power lines. With a wired computer, your wires are probably going to snag on something and break at some point, unless they're routed very carefully. Wireless looks tidier too. Do you need a heart rate monitor, or cadence? Or are you just looking for speed and distance. Do you have a budget you need to stick to? Are you installing it yourself? There are a few big name companies (like Vetta, Sigma and CatEye) that have been around for quite some time, and any of their offerings will work fine. The Bontrager mentioned above is probably a re-branded Vetta or Sigma.

4. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Have been really happy with a Catseye Strada (Strada Catseye?). Easy to see in any kind of light. Easy to change functions while riding. Easy to see in any kind of light. Even the cadence function works most of the time. It's a CPA's dream (now you know what I do for a living).

5. jcans1409

jcans1409 New Member

Yea

I am trying to stay under 200. I will prob have the bikeshop put it on for me. I am new to cycling so I am still working on all the things I would like. I have been told that heartbeat is very important

6. chibibike

chibibike Banned

you should prolly just get a heartbeat watch so you can know it when your bikeing or jogging or whatever your doing.

7. Industry_Hack

I would get a computer with cadence, and possibly a watch with the HRM. Then you could have your HRM when you're not on your bike. I think Timex has bike computer/watch, but will need to double check on that.

8. chibibike

chibibike Banned

my computer was only $45

9. Industry_Hack

And it doesn't include a wireless HRM.

10. chibibike

chibibike Banned

no a HRM is something that would be useful for more than biking I think so if you are the kind of person that likes to monitor your heart rate then getting one that makes you limited to monitoring it when just bike riding would be a waste of money.

11. Industry_Hack

See post 7.

12. chibibike

chibibike Banned

post 7 should see post 6

13. Industry_Hack

Timex Global Trainer combines HRM with GPS for speed and a lot of other data collection. I think they have an optional cadence module. Suunto also has some really cool gear if you want to go watch-based. Otherwise, you can get your HRM with your bike computer, or split the two. Plenty of options.

14. chibibike

chibibike Banned

oh cool i'm getting that for my hubby

15. Garilia

Garilia New Member

touche!

16. cwtrials

cwtrials Biking With a Mission

I just used to use a cheapo computer from walmart. They all do the same basic thing. A magnetic sensor determines wheel rotations, which is converted to MPH after you program your wheel size. This was when I worked at the bike shop and had a huge discount as well. Some things just aren't worth spending the money on.

17. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

^^^^^Agreed! I've used cheapo's for years and been fine. Although recently bought a wired Cateye with cadence, rarely use the cadence function so guess I wasted my money.

I remember my first speedometer...cable driven. Big gear mounted on the front fork with an arm that was pushed by the spoke, spun the cable which was connected to a coffe-cup sized gauge mounted on my high-rise handlebars. My J.C. Penney "Stingray" knock-off bike also sported a sissy-bar and a wheelie bar.
    How many of you have any idea what I'm talking about?

18. cwtrials

cwtrials Biking With a Mission

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDprSdH2xQ]YouTube - WHAM-O WHEELIE BAR Tv Commercial 1966[/ame]

19. Industry_Hack

One of my first bikes was a Schwinn Scrambler. I know exactly what you're talking about.

20. Garilia

Garilia New Member

My first bike was a used bike from a flea market. It had ape hanger handlebars, a banana seat, and low sissy bar, but no wheelie bar. One summer when I was at my grandparents on vacation, my dad redesigned and repainted my bike using vacuum cleaner tubes to change the sissy bar into a padded back rest and redesigned the front fork to make it look more like a chopper. I wish I could find pictures of it. I don't know if any exist. I'm not even sure I'm remembering it completely correctly (like maybe he didn't redesign the front fork, but he definitely did the back).