Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I had been tossing the idea back and forth of selling my truck and being a 1 car family... this would result in me cycling pretty much every where i go w/out my wife and kids.. considering waiting till next spring, but i kinda wanna pull the trigger...
so what i'm looking for is thoughts and suggestions, what to work on or plan for before jumping the gun etc..

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Honorable decision, but one I could not make! If you live in an area where that would be feasible I say go for it! Time would be the ultimate decision maker for me. It takes an avg of 45 minutes drive time to get anywhere, ie work for either my wife or I so there is just no feasible way it would work for either of us. I have the option to home fleet but I hate having a huge bucket truck in my driveway.

Keep us posted. I'm sure your fuel and insurance savings could make a big difference in a budget.

·
889 Posts
Hey, if you can make it work, more power to you! The money you save in fuel, upkeep and insurance you spend on a little reward for yourself! Like some new cycling gear...

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah as of right now the only time i go more than aprox. 15 miles from home with out the wife and kiddos is to my NG drill and as of right now i carpool with another guy, or could rent a car once a month.. pretty much the only thing that could hurt me is if i get a job in Lexington (20-30miles from home) when i finish school next summer

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Might be worth it to hold off until you are sure about your job situation. It would suck to have a job offer and have to scramble to find suitable, dependable transportation. Something to consider for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Personally, I think it is better to go "car-lite" than "car-free" in an instance like this.

Here's how I see it. . .

It's an honorable decision to make but I believe you have kids? For me, I'd want a car in reserve in case of emergency. Sick kid? Injured kid? What if you're home alone with them and your wife has the car? Same thing with a sick or injured pet; I just cannot see putting a sick, febrile kid in a trailer or kiddie seat or a sick animal. For others, it might be different.

I had thought about ditching my car as well, but have kept it for those reasons. There are also days I see the rain and say "F it, I'm tired, sore, whatever. I'll take car today."

Last, what if you get hurt? Break an arm? Sprain an ankle?

I envy and admire your enthusiasm but I think it might be more prudent to keep the car in reserve.

Whichever you choose, best of luck!

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Personally, I think it is better to go "car-lite" than "car-free" in an instance like this.

Here's how I see it. . .

It's an honorable decision to make but I believe you have kids? For me, I'd want a car in reserve in case of emergency. Sick kid? Injured kid? What if you're home alone with them and your wife has the car? Same thing with a sick or injured pet; I just cannot see putting a sick, febrile kid in a trailer or kiddie seat or a sick animal. For others, it might be different.

I had thought about ditching my car as well, but have kept it for those reasons. There are also days I see the rain and say "F it, I'm tired, sore, whatever. I'll take car today."

Last, what if you get hurt? Break an arm? Sprain an ankle?

I envy and admire your enthusiasm but I think it might be more prudent to keep the car in reserve.

Whichever you choose, best of luck!
'
Good points I never considered or thought of! Car free with kids would be tough!

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kneedrachen said:
I think its probably easier in cities/urban areas but I am not sure what his locale offers in the way of a Zipcar kind of thing, you know?
You offer up some very good points, similar to some my wife and I discussed just last night, we do live n a smaller town, I think we are just gonna sell my big chevy 2500 truck which I have no use for since I no longer have a race car and going w a small car for me to have on reserve

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
You offer up some very good points, similar to some my wife and I discussed just last night, we do live n a smaller town, I think we are just gonna sell my big chevy 2500 truck which I have no use for since I no longer have a race car and going w a small car for me to have on reserve
Sounds like the most reasonable option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great idea, but it depends on a lot of factors. For example, I commute about 90% of the time. The other 10 % is when the roads are icy or when I have to transport large items to or from work. I also use my car for transport to and from a ride start point that may be too far to ride. This way, my wife still has her vehicle when I need mine. Guess that if I were single and lived in a warmer climate I could go 100% gas free.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have not owned a car since 2008. For me it's easy though, no kids and my girlfriend is cool for who I am. Tucson is fairly bike friendly but the roads aren't. However it's small enough where I don't have a major need for a car. So four, almost five years cycling and now I get car sick. Ha, but I love it. Id say really consider the other comments but that's my story! Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts