Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to cycling and I'm just using my phone at the moment for GPS navigation for my rides out. I'm considering getting a GPS computer but I have no idea what to get. Tbh I want something that isn't more expensive than my bike (£400) bit I only really want it for navigation purposes as I have moved house and don't fancy getting lost round here.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
If your phone has Bluetooth 4.0, you can continue using it as your GPS bike computer along with a Wahoo RFLKT ($99.00 USD). If you have an iPhone 4S or newer, you can use the RFLKT+ ($129.00 USD) which has an Ant+ bridge for using Ant+ sensors, such as Garmin speed/cadence and heart rate monitor. You will also need a cycling app that will send the data to the RFLKT so it can display it on its screen. Wahoo has a free app that has pretty much what you need. It is an inexpensive alternative to expensive GPS cyclometers. Since the RFLKT displays all the data, you don't need to keep your phone display on and use up your battery. Or, you can look into the Garmin line of cyclometers.

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but I need something for navigation purposes. I have a cycling computer that displays speed etc but I want something that I can find my way home on if I end up getting lost.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
The cheapest Garmin unit that has navigation with Turn-by-Turn direction is the Garmin Touring device.

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Thanks but I need something for navigation purposes. I have a cycling computer that displays speed etc but I want something that I can find my way home on if I end up getting lost.
You can do that with your phone and the MapMyRide app if get the premium package or some of the Garmin models will do that as well. Actually, any GPS cycling app that has a map that you can zoom in and out with will get you back to where you started. Simply zoom into the map and follow the route back the way you came.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I come here sheepishly embarrassed, because I’m stumped by a bicycling thing which is so new TO ME, that i can’t even formulate answers to my questions.

I recently purchased the Karoo2 Cycling computer by Hammerhead.

Sadly, I’ve had difficulty getting answers from tech support, which has me questioning my research and first high end Cycling computer purchase.

My main question is how to make this thing work with my non-smart trainer.
I assume I’m required to mount something to my rear wheel and link it via Bluetooth or ANT or some other method to the computer. However, there’s no mention of this on the Karoo 2 website.

I feel certain this is common knowledge of those accustomed to using these fancy dancey cycling computers, but to little ole’ me, I’m stumped.

Thoughts?
Ideas?

·
1,836 Posts
I come here sheepishly embarrassed, because I’m stumped by a bicycling thing which is so new TO ME, that i can’t even formulate answers to my questions.

I recently purchased the Karoo2 Cycling computer by Hammerhead.

Sadly, I’ve had difficulty getting answers from tech support, which has me questioning my research and first high end Cycling computer purchase.

My main question is how to make this thing work with my non-smart trainer.
I assume I’m required to mount something to my rear wheel and link it via Bluetooth or ANT or some other method to the computer. However, there’s no mention of this on the Karoo 2 website.

I feel certain this is common knowledge of those accustomed to using these fancy dancey cycling computers, but to little ole’ me, I’m stumped.

Thoughts?
Ideas?
I would check dcrainmaker. If you’re on the dumb trainer with other software, e.g., TrainerRoad, Zwift, etc., then a head unit is superfluous.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I just want to use it to track speed & mileage on the trainer. I don’t use those others at this time.
I was hoping to use one computer for trainer, road bike and MTB.

Surely there’s some device similar to the trusty magnet, but more high tech, that can do what i’m wanting to do.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
I just want to use it to track speed & mileage on the trainer. I don’t use those others at this time.

Surely there’s some device similar to the trusty magnet, but more high tech, that can do what i’m wanting to do.

·
Two skinny J's
21,324 Posts
Not that you necessarily want to ride Zwift but...

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts

I’m assuming that you are using GPS on your other bikes and not a speed sensor to get your speed and distance. If that’s the case, just get a Wahoo or Garmin speed sensor (both are less than $50.00) and place it on the rear wheel. I have a speed sensor on my front wheel but for the few times I use the trainer, I just move it to the rear wheel. I don’t have a smart trainer, either.

If you’re using the same wheel on the trainer that you do on the road, your speed and distance will be more accurate.

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Not that you necessarily want to ride Zwift but...
Thanks rola.
This reinforces an answer i found ‍♂ the web last night.
Eventually, i plan to try Zwift with my “dumb” trainer.
First though, i want to use this new computer on my trainer, until i my road bike in shipshape again.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I’m assuming that you are using GPS on your other bikes and not a speed sensor to get your speed and distance. If that’s the case, just get a Wahoo or Garmin speed sensor (both are less than $50.00) and place it on the rear wheel. I have a speed sensor on my front wheel but for the few times I use the trainer, I just move it to the rear wheel. I don’t have a smart trainer, either.

If you’re using the same wheel on the trainer that you do on the road, your speed and distance will be more accurate.
John,

This too reinforces an answer i found surfing the web last night.
I knew there should be something out there to do what i needed.
So disappointed Hammerhead hasn’t given me the answer themselves.

I’ve got the Garmin in my shopping cart now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts