Considering Switching to a Recumbent

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by goldentouch, Feb 28, 2010.

1. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I am thinking about going to a recumbent. The problem is there are no dealers around where I live. I live in the country with bad roads and nothing smooth to ride on. I am not sure if a recumbent will hold up to these roads. I currently have a mountain bike that I had fitted for me. I am 6-5 and 270 so is that a factor. I plan to loose some of the weight but will still be 6-5. I can buy online but then when it gets here what do I have. I am about 60 miles from Dallas but have not found a recumbent dealer there. Any help in what direction would help.

2. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

City Cyclist in Fort Worth (on McCart, just south of I-20) has a pretty good selection of bents. They are also great about just talking to you and helping you figure out what you need. They have a good selection of bents to test ride.

If you don't want to make the trip right away, call them up and talk to them; Mike will probably talk your ear off about recumbents. If you're close enough to drive to Dallas, Fort Worth is just a little further. They just sold a bent to a guy in Sulfur Springs.

There are bents that are designed for touring that are built pretty ruggedly and can carry a lot of weight, so I bet they can fix you up. Tell them Doohickie sent you; I'm a regular there. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010

3. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Hi, GT -

My bent (08 Rans V3) holds up to rough chipseal pretty well, once I put on some 1.5" mountain bike tires. I am 6'-2" and I am right at the max for the standard frame size; you are probably going to be looking at large or XL frame sizes for most bikes.

Take a look at Lightfoot Cycles; they make some mountain-bike type recumbents intended for rough and off-road use. Not cheap but very well constructed and well-rated.

4. altozwei

altozwei New Member

DFW and Beyond

Plano Cycling and Fitness carry some recumbent biikes in the DFW area. PCF and City Cyclist in Fort Worth seem to have the best reputation for service and selection in the metroplex area. If you don't mind going a bit farther afield, try Easy Street Recumbents in Austin. They have a great website and can help you determine the right bike for your needs. Also, they are having their annual Bent Event on April 18th. It is a great opportunity to see and try out many different bikes. Easy Street Recumbents

5. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

Thanks for the information. I plan to go to City Cyclist on Saturday. I also plan on a trip to Austin to see them. I have been checking the internet and have some ideas to what I want. I just need to get on one and ride to see if I am heading in the right direction. I am also looking at the trikes. Thanks again and maybe we will run into one another some day

6. Doohickie

City Cyclist has some nice trikes, too... although I think the last three recumbents they've sold were tadpoles so they might be a little low on those.

7. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I will just keep an open mind and see what feels the best. The main thing is I want something that holds up on my roads and is safe to ride on these old country roads. With my height and weight I can't just go in and find one easy. I usually have to order it from the factory and wait until it gets here. I am so use to trying stuff that is too short I wouldn't know what to do if it fit right off. Probably buy it then and now. I sure don't one that breaks in half the first bump I hit. I will find out Saturday.

8. altozwei

altozwei New Member

If you are interested in trikes, we are having the Texas Catrike Rally on March 13 & 14 in the DFW area. Dallas White Rock Lake on Saturday (TeePee Hill, 12 noon) and Fort Worth Trinity Trail on Sunday ( Riverfront Drive trailhead, just off University, 9:30am Breakfast at Ol South Pancake House, 8am). It isn't limited to Catrikes, and bikes are welcome too. If you want to come by, there will be folks happy to tell you about their rides.

9. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I will try and make it to the event. I am not sure what I want and not seeing or riding one leaves me open for a lot of choices. The store where we buy our police bikes told me they could get a Sun trike or bike and make me a good deal. I will see Saturday at City Cyclist what they have. I don't want to just go with something because it is cheaper. I want something that fits and I will enjoy riding it.

10. Doohickie

You *are* aware that the trail is closed east from that trailhead to the other side of University, yes?

11. altozwei

altozwei New Member

Yes. We are riding down toward Benbrook, beginning just past the current construction. We will access the trail at the intersection of Riverfront and Rogers. I had originally planned to start the ride downtown, but some of the folks attending didn't want to ride down University to bypass the construction.

12. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I went to City Cyclist today and rode a Sun Delta Trike. It was the HD model so no problem with my weight and size fits. I went in my car to just look. 182 miles round trip. I came home ate a bite went back in my truck and bought the trike. Thanks everyone for the help.

13. altozwei

altozwei New Member

That's great! Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have many happy miles of riding.

14. Doohickie

Hmmmm... I was at City Cyclist at 2 pm Saturday and they said you hadn't been there yet. I know they normally close at 4 on Saturdays.... did you get there later, and did they stay open later to accommodate you? Wait... actually, maybe you didn't identify yourself as coming from a long ways away and they didn't realize you were the guy I mentioned to them?

Anyway, I'm glad they were able to take care of you!

15. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I got there about 11:30 and looked at the trikes. I went out back and rode the one I was interested in being the HD. I was in my car so I didn't buy it then but drove home and ate some lunch and drove back with my pickup and got it. I spent some time talking with Mike that morning. I am sorry I missed you. You can tell Mike he owes you one for sending me out. I would have never gone without your post. Thanks I love it. Later I still plan to get another bike or trike that will be faster to ride in some of the longer road rallies

16. Doohickie

Yeah, I figured it out later. They said you were from Dallas so I thought it was someone else. I stopped by on the way home today and we figured it out. I'm glad you like the bike so far. I live about two miles from that shop.

17. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I work in the DFW area but live 60 miles east of Dallas in Van Zandt County. I am sorry I missed you. It has been raining or either late when I got home from work so I have not been able to ride. I plan to ride some Saturday and Sunday nothing long just to get use to it.

18. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I took a couple short rides of 2 miles yesterday and 1 today. It is a lot heavier bike at 65 lbs but it is comfortable and easy to ride. Up hills is a lot harder than my hybrid but down hills and level you fly. So far I am pleased. Next up is looking for a 2 wheel hybrid. I was really thinking about the rans stratus xp with the larger frame. It will be a couple months before I am ready to buy one unless a good used one comes up for sale.

19. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

At your height and weight, I'd start my 2-wheeler search by looking at RANS. They have several models with triangulated frames and the ability to take >1.5" wide tires. They don't weigh as much as the Suns, either.

20. Doohickie

Sounds like another trip west is in your future! (City Cyclist has Rans bikes too.) Maybe we'll get a chance to meet this time.