converting 10 speed to fixie

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by Eagle, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Eagle

Eagle New Member

hey
    I have a 70's Raleigh "Grand Prix" 10 speed that I am looking to convert into a fixie. I'm looking for some help in regards to parts and where to get.
    I will require front and rear wheel, BB, chainring and cranks.
    I would like to use the brakes as i learned my lesson riding brakeless many years ago haha.
    I'm not looking for the best stuff, just going to be a daily commuter to book around the city.
    Thx in advance for any help and ideas.

E.E.

2. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

What's your budget for the project?

3. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Hey
    I'm not looking for the "best" money can buy. its going to be a daily rider around the city once i move back. dont really want dirt cheap i don't mind spending a little more for quality. a few hundred bucks i guess ( $0- $500)

E.E.

4. DirtyBobbysBikes

For $450 you can buy a raleigh back alley and not ruin a nice ten speed. There are also other pretty descent complete fixed gear bikes that can be had in that price range. The back alley is really nice for the money. Comes with DP-18s, flip flop fixed/free rear hub, front and rear brakes, it's even got built in chain tensioners like the rush hour. Reynolds 520 frame. Raleigh Bicycles » Back Alley if you really want to convert the bike you have the DP-18s are great rims in my experience, laced to some formula hubs or something like that. I'd recommend them.

5. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Thx for the info. I'm going to look into a complete fixie bike i was just hoping to not add to the collection haha. not sure where i would put another bike as I am moving back to the city into a 1 bedroom. what would be the diningroom/living room is going to be full of bikes already. Currantly have 8.
    I'll look into the rims and stuff to

Thx

6. DirtyBobbysBikes

I like the sounds of that, 8 bikes. That's sweet. What all you got? Got pics of this raleigh? I have kind of a thing for raleighs.

7. Eagle

Eagle New Member

ya i'll get some pics once i get unpacked in my new place, move next week. not looking forward to it haha

8. DirtyBobbysBikes

haha, no one likes to move.

9. Eagle

Eagle New Member

ya hate moving and its amazing how all my friends are "busy" the day I'm moving haha.
    ya and the 10-speed, rear wheel is pooched, and the hubs and BB are over 30 years old so they dont spin to good.

10. DirtyBobbysBikes

i'd overhaul them but that's just me. Clean them all up, make sure nothings pitted. If they're not pitted i'd put in new grease and new bearings and they'd feel like new again. Same with the headset. I'd make a day of it and take the whole thing apart and overhaul the whole bike, but then again it's my job to do such things.

11. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Wow! That Raleigh Rush Hour FB over there gives me bike wood.

[​IMG]

Harris Cyclery has a ton of good info on there web site and parts. I'd find a good LBS first because ya never know what parts they may have laying around.

12. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

I personally like converting old crappy ten speeds to fixed gear bikes. It's recycling because in most cases these bikes will end up at the dump. I have converted 6 or 7 bikes so far, including a 1972 Raleigh.

13. DirtyBobbysBikes

Around here kids do that and call them track bike and try to sell them for rediculous amounts of money. Sometimes, stupid people buy them. Conversion were cool until I started buying real track bikes/ fixed gears. I have a rush hour flat bar in my stable Nigal, it's the 2010.

14. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

My first conversion was a Bianchi Classica that I sold for 4 Hundy. I did a Fuji, a Raleigh, and a Bridgestone. Almost sold my Marin, which was is a steel comfort bike but I am glad the buyer backed out at the last second because I realized that I like it too much.

For me, it's hobby. Rebuild to a fixie, ride it, love it, write about it (another biking blogger), and then sell it. Although, some bikes you just can't sell.

15. DirtyBobbysBikes

$400 for a conversion is about the max ones worth. You can buy a real fixed gear for $400. I'd say maybe for a real nice one with lots of new parts, that would be the max a conversion would be worth. I see people trying to sell conversions for anywhere from $600 to over $1000 all the time. Some people have some pretty funny ideas about what things are worth. When you price out the parts on some of these bikes, they didnt cost half of what these people are trying to sell them for. It's sad.

16. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Hey

Ya I'm thinking about the whole rebuild of the BB and headset and stuff, I just luv the frame, still has original paint and stickers and stuff its a classic.
    My local "fixie" shop is around $400 for front and rear wheels, BB, chain rings and crank, then I just gotta put it together which is not a biggy.

17. DirtyBobbysBikes

I'd overhaul it and ride it as a road bike, but thats just me

18. billnuke1

billnuke1 Member

[​IMG]I restore/collect old LBS bikes. I call them the "rich kid bikes". I was riding hand me downs and "box store bikes". I coveted these bikes! I find them in basements, attics, and crawlspaces! I "rescue" them! I have about 50 in my garage! 18 +/- hanging! The rest are on the floor, and one on the bike stand! Half the fun is getting these old bikes performing again! Most of them need tires and cables. As the budget permits , I buy what is needed. I don't really get the single speed thing, even though I do have some canidates for this conversion. Some bikes are just too far gone, just too abused! There is a lot of satisfaction in getting these bikes working again! Somebody just gave me an unridden Raleigh Grand Prix. I added air to the tires, lubed everything, and took itn for a cruise! Nice, solid old bike! Want to send me your "cast off" parts for shipping costs? I don't if I'm serious or not! Canada to Cape Cod! Have fun!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  19. billnuke1

billnuke1 Member

I'm not sure if the picture came out or not, but, you can see my album in the galleries."Lots of bikes". There are a few more bikes now than in the picture! I had a good week rescuing!

20. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

I try to keep as much as original as possible. I usually replace the rubber, bars (flop and chops suck), rear wheel, and BB if it really needs it.