Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new roadie, so possibly toying with the idea of converting my Cannondale Synapse to a fixie. What is the cheapest/easiest way to do this, and what would be a full list of what I'll need, also what can I re-use? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Do you mean single speed or actual fixed gear ?

If single speed you need:
- Brake levers without shifters
- To shorten the chain
- A rear cog with spacers to remove the rear cassette
- a chain tensioner that replaces your rear derailleur
- outer ring guard to replace the outer front chainring

Fixie you can't do because that frame does not have horizontal dropouts so there is no way to tension the chain. A chain tensioner that replaces the rear derailleur will work for single speed as it can still coast but will not work on a fixed gear.

All credit for this information goes to Sprocket. I only kinda knew what to do.

·
1,945 Posts
I don't know your history or experience so please excuse me if this is below you. But if you have not ridden fixed before you may want to beg, borrow, or steal one and try it first. I personally hate it. Maybe I'm just a lazy a$$ that needs to coast. But keep in mind those pedals keep going whether you want them to or not. Before you go through all the work and end up with a bike full of good intentions but no miles. Everyone has preferences fixed is just not for me. Maybe you on the other hand will find your calling with fixed and love it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know your history or experience so please excuse me if this is below you. But if you have not ridden fixed before you may want to beg, borrow, or steal one and try it first. I personally hate it. Maybe I'm just a lazy a$$ that needs to coast. But keep in mind those pedals keep going whether you want them to or not. Before you go through all the work and end up with a bike full of good intentions but no miles. Everyone has preferences fixed is just not for me. Maybe you on the other hand will find your calling with fixed and love it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Yea it's a trial build. And I'm aware I may hate it. Therefore, I'm not going to be converting my road bike, I did however find a little beater fixie for $75 on Craigslist that has a front brake and flip flop rear wheel, so I can go fixie or single speed with coast. I appreciate the concern, and honesty I hurt my back last week and am off the bike for 2 weeks, so my mind got bored and was looking for something to research. One thing led to another... lol

·
1,945 Posts
Well it is good therapy. You can hide out, garage, shed, somewhere and take a bike apart and fix it up. No boss looking over your shoulder and doing something you like to do. Having a sense of having accomplished something when done. Stress relief and learning at the same time.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.