Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the more popular views in the fitness world is that you need to warm up before you stretch. Interesting research is showing this in fact may not be the case.

The popular thought is that you need to raise the temperature of the muscles by one degree to be able to safely stretch, reduce resistance to force and reduce the tissue's resistance to being lengthened.

A study by Brodowicz, Welsh and Wallis (Comparison of Stretching with Ice, Stretching Heat, or Stretching Alone on Hamstring Flexiblity) found that "ROM (range of motion) can be improved by the application of heat or ice (cooling or heating the tissue) suggesting that warming up tissue isn't necessary to improve ROM."

The researchers applied both ice and heat to the hamstrings of collegiate baseball players and found that the control group that improved the most was the one using ice on the hamstrings. They determined more research is needed as to why, and if this works for other muscles groups, but interesting findings none the less.

Other studies have shown that actively warming up to get loose showed any significant effects on the range of motion achieved by stretching. A 10 minute warm up running at 70% VO2max did not change the viscosity (muscle resistance to force) of the targeted tissues to be stretched in spite of raising tissue temperature (Magnussen, Aagaard, Nielson, Passive energy return after repeated stretches of the hamstring muscle-tendon unit).

Interesting food for thought.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will toss in:
You can spot reduce
More cardio is what burns fat
Lifting weights causes loss of flexibility

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Does stretching afterward help? I usually walk a mile or so after a ride. If I don't and sit down after riding I have problems with cramping...seems odd to me but it happens more often than not. Taking the walk has all but eliminated that problem for me.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post ride stretch is always a good idea. Glute work plus stretching is the ideal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts